LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

and subscribe to cleanup and redevelopment newsletters.

Firefighters respond to a fire at the Adell Co-op.
Firefighters respond to a fire at the Adell Co-op in southern Sheboygan County.
© Sheboygan Press

Contact information
For information about the DNR spills program, contact:
Jason Lowery

What is a spill?

A spill is a discharge of one or more hazardous substances that adversely impact, or threaten to adversely impact, human health, welfare or the environment and requires an immediate response.

For detailed information on spill reporting requirements, see Wis. Stats. Section 292.11 [PDF exit DNR] and Wis. Admin. Code Chapter NR 706.

Do I have to report my spill?

Your spill is reportable to the DNR if:

  • there is an impact to human health;
    Note: An evacuation is considered a threat to human health.
  • there is an impact to the environment;
    Note: Water of the state includes a threat or spill into a sanitary sewer, storm sewer, and/or surface water.
  • there is a fire, explosion or safety hazard;
    Note: A slippery road condition is considered a safety hazard.
  • you have not immediately cleaned up the spill; or
    Note: Has it evaporated or been cleaned up in accordance with NR700-726?
  • the spill was more than the reportable quantities listed below.*

*A hazardous substance that is "discharged" into a secondary containment structure, that is completely contained and can be recovered with no discharge to the environment, is not subject to the discharge notification requirements.

Reportable quantities

If your spill is more than the amounts listed below, you must report it to the DNR.

Petroleum compounds

  • Petroleum product completely contained on an impervious surface.
  • 1 gallon of gasoline onto a pervious surface or runs off an impervious surface.
  • 5 gallons of a petroleum product other than gasoline onto a pervious surface or runs off an impervious surface.

Agrichemical compounds

  • 250 pounds dry fertilizer.
  • 25 gallons of a liquid fertilizer.
  • Pesticides that would cover less than 1 acre of land if applied according to label instructions.

Federal reportable quantities

The federal reportable quantity for a specific substance as outlined in the CERCLA RQ column of the Sara Title 3 list of lists [exit DNR].

Additional information

For additional infomration on reporting a spill, please refer to the DNR guidance Wisconsin Spill Reporting Requirements RR-560.

Last revised: Monday October 01 2018