- Contact information
- For information on the wildlife areas, contact:
- Wildlife Management
Tiffany Wildlife Area
Tiffany Wildlife Area is a 13,000 acre property in Buffalo County. Find it 45 minutes south of Eau Claire and 90 minutes north of LaCrosse. It is located along the Chippewa River between Nelson and Durand; west of State Highway 25 and mostly north of State Highway 35. About 1/6 of the property lies west of the Chippewa River in Pepin County. The rest lies east of the Chippewa River in Buffalo County.
Tiffany Wildlife Area has a diversity and abundance of wildlife habitat on more than 13,000 acres. The area contains one of the state's largest, continuous bottomland hardwood forests. Beaver dams on sloughs and old river meanders create a maze of ponds and wetlands. Timber harvests help maintain aspen and oak in a diverse pattern of size and age classes. This variety in woodland composition and structure provides food and shelter for a wide variety of wildlife including deer, ruffed grouse and beaver. Dead trees with dens are left to provide wildlife homes. Oaks with superior potential for producing acorns are preserved to provide high energy wildlife food.
DNR staff periodically mow and use controlled burning to maintain meadow and grassland habitat at Tiffany Wildlife Area for waterfowl nesting cover and a number of other upland birds. Burning also maintains native prairie and savannah plants that existed before white settlement.
The Lower Chippewa River Properties master plan was completed in 2010 and guides the long term management of this property. Progress toward achieving the goals of the master plan are tracked through annual monitoring reports.
The Tiffany Wildlife Area offers many recreational opportunities.
- Camping by permit only* . Primitive camping only, no developed sites available. Camping with water and electricity is also available near the Tiffany WMA at the Holden Park Campground .
- Cross country skiing (no designated trail)
- Hiking (no designated trail)
- Hunting - especially noted for deer, ruffed grouse, turkey, squirrel and waterfowl
- Wild edibles/gathering
- Wildlife viewing
* Upon completion of the camping permit retain the original with you at your campsite, post a copy on the dash of each vehicle in your party and send a copy to:
PO Box 88
Alma, WI 54610
or fax to 608-685-6229
If you are interested in exploring this property further, you can access an interactive map.