LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.



 
wood duck

Wood duck photo courtesy of Emery Orlikowski of Green Bay

Find
ways to reduce wildlife-human conflict and avoid wildlife damage.
Explore
Wisconsin's rare plants, animals and natural communities.
Discover
tips to manage your land for wildlife.
Learn
about wildlife health and rehabilitation.

Waterfowl management

Waterfowl management plan

mallard

Waterfowl Management Plan

    This plan is currently being updated.

Wisconsin Plan

    This plan is currently being updated.

Upper Mississippi River and Great Lakes Region Joint Venture

North American waterfowl management plan

WI Duck Stamp

About the Wisconsin Duck Stamp

mallard
    The Wisconsin state waterfowl stamp program has generated on average over $500,000 per year during the period 2010–2017 for waterfowl habitat work. Two-thirds of the state waterfowl stamp funds have been used in Wisconsin and most of this has been used on state wildlife areas that provide wetland habitat for waterfowl in spring, summer and fall. The WDNR has worked with Ducks Unlimited (DU) and Delta Waterfowl Foundation to send one third of those funds to Canada each year, dedicated to waterfowl production habitat where birds that migrate through Wisconsin in the fall are produced. Nearly $6 million dollars of Wisconsin Duck Stamp funding has been invested in Canada (Manitoba and Saskatchewan) through the WDNR’s partnerships for-breeding ground habitat work since 1968. These conservation partners have leveraged Wisconsin Duck Stamp funds more than 3-fold with North American Wetlands Conservation Act (NAWCA) funds, funds from other states, and funds raised within their organizations to efficiently deliver habitat work within the Mississippi Flyway. Over 850,000 acres of habitat have been protected, restored or enhanced involving these funds.

    Money spent outside of Wisconsin

Wisconsin wildlife stamp program

Wisconsin wildlife stamp funding and stamp design contest

History of the waterfowl stamp

Region map

Waterfowl stamp funds have been providing opportunities for waterfowl management and hunting in Wisconsin since 1978. In accordance with Wisconsin Statutes s. 29.191(1)(b)1, the department shall expend 67% of the money received from fees for waterfowl hunting stamps for developing, managing, preserving, restoring and maintaining wetland habitat and for producing waterfowl and ecologically related species of wildlife. The remaining 33 percent, in accordance with s. 29.191(1)(b)2, shall be used for the development of waterfowl propagation areas within Canada which will provide waterfowl for this state and the Mississippi flyway. Money for the development of waterfowl propagation areas in Canada shall be provided only to nonprofit organizations. Since European settlement, approximately half of Wisconsin's wetlands that waterfowl depend on, have been lost or degraded due to farming practices and development. The recognition of the loss of habitat and Wisconsin's importance to breeding ducks in the Mississippi flyway lead some conservationists to create the state waterfowl stamp. The first price of the waterfowl stamp in 1978 was set at $3.25, and generated over $400,000 in the first year for waterfowl habitat work. Today, a $7 waterfowl stamp is required to hunt ducks and geese statewide. Besides hunters purchasing the stamp, many stamp collectors and bird enthusiasts also purchase the stamp.

Other Wisconsin Management links

Contact information
For information on waterfowl management, contact:
Trenton Rohrer
Assistant Migratory game bird ecologist
Bureau of Wildlife Management
608-261-6458
Last revised: Friday December 21 2018