LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

a water withdrawal or terminate a registration.
annual water use data.
fees for registered water withdrawals.
water use data and maps.
about water use in Wisconsin.

Subscribe to receive email updates about the Great Lakes Compact or Water Use Program.

Contact information
For information on this page, contact:
Water Use Program
WI Department of Natural Resources
Water Use Section DG/5
PO Box 7921
Madison WI 53707-7921

Reporting water use

Registered withdrawers are required to measure or estimate the volume of water they withdraw every month and report that information annually to the DNR. Withdrawals may be reported by the property owner or by an authorized lessee, agent or operator of the source. Even if water is not withdrawn during the previous year, a withdrawal report is still required.

Reporting is required for:

  • all high capacity well properties;
  • permitted (Chapter 30, Wis. Stats.) surface water withdrawals;
  • properties with a Water Use Permit (in the Great Lakes basin); and
  • any properties that withdrew an average of 100,000 gallons per day or more in any 30-day period.

The annual deadline for reporting is March 1.

Option 1: Report online

To report online, you need an active Wisconsin Access Management System Identification (WAMS ID), through Wisconsin's Department of Administration.

Log in to submit water use reporting. Help icon Help [PDF]

To create a WAMS ID, follow the self-registration and activation process. After activating your WAMS ID, you will be able to log in to the water use reporting system.

Create and activate a WAMS ID. Help icon Switchboard Help

Option 2: Report with paper forms

In early February, the DNR will mail paper reporting forms to property owners who have not reported online by that time. Alternatively, owners can print out blank forms [PDF] and mail or fax them to the water use program. Contact Water Use Program staff for help filling in owner, property and source information on the blank forms.

Water use reporting forms and instructions

Last revised: Thursday October 31 2019