Native American encampments once occupied the site of Council Grounds State Park. Located along the Wisconsin River and Lake Alexander, this park is a favorite for water enthusiasts. This 508-acre park also offers camping, hiking, hunting and fishing opportunities.
- Contact information
- For information, contact:
- Council Grounds State Park
N1895 Council Grounds Dr
Merrill WI 54452
Wisconsin State Park System Council Grounds State Park
- The park is open year-round from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Council Grounds is conveniently located just west of Merrill. From U.S. Highway 51, exit onto State Highway 64 (Main Street) and go west about 2 miles through downtown Merrill. Turn right on State Highway 107 (Grand Avenue) and go about 1.8 miles. Turn left on Council Grounds Drive and go about 0.5 mile to the park entrance station. Geographic coordinates are 45° 11' 4.0" N, 89° 44' 4.6" W.
Concessions and rental equipment
The Friends of Council Grounds State Park rent canoes in season.
Friends Group and volunteering
- Contact the park at 715-536-8773 for more information or to join the Friends Group.
- State Park System volunteering opportunities