Native American encampments once occupied the site of Council Grounds State Park. Located along the Wisconsin River and Lake Alexander, this park is a favorite for water enthusiasts. This 508-acre park also offers camping, hiking, hunting and fishing opportunities.
- Contact information
- For information, contact:
- Council Grounds State Park
N1895 Council Grounds Dr
Merrill WI 54452
Wisconsin State Park System Council Grounds State Park
- The park is open year-round from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Council Grounds is conveniently located just west of Merrill. From U.S. Highway 51, exit onto State Highway 64 (Main Street) and go west about 2 miles through downtown Merrill. Turn right on State Highway 107 (Grand Avenue) and go about 1.8 miles. Turn left on Council Grounds Drive and go about 0.5 mile to the park entrance station. Geographic coordinates are 45° 11' 4.0" N, 89° 44' 4.6" W.
- Vehicle admission sticker is required.
- Camping fees for the Wisconsin State Park System.
- Hunting and fishing licenses apply.
Concessions and rental equipment
The Friends of Council Grounds State Park rent canoes, kayaks and paddleboards in season. There is also an adaptive kayak available for rental. Items can be rented at the park office when the office is open. Rentals are for the day ($12/4-hours or $20/8-hours - no overnight rentals). Rentals must return prior to sunset and the equipment turned into the office prior to close. Contact the park at 715-536-8773 for more information.
Friends Group and volunteering
- Contact the park at 715-536-8773 for more information or to join the Friends Group.
- State Park System volunteering opportunities