A accessible cabin at a state park for people with disabilites.
- Contact information
- For more information, contact:
- Wisconsin State Parks
Wisconsin State Park System Accessible cabins for people with disabilities
For those unable to use outdoor campsites, the Wisconsin state park system offers nine accessible cabins in various Wisconsin State Parks. There are seven larger cabins with amenities in the Wisconsin State Park System. There are also two smaller, rustic cabins. These cabins are available only to people with disabilities and their guests and must be reserved ahead of time.
Properties with accessible cabins
There are seven larger cabins with amenities at Mirror Lake, Buckhorn, High Cliff , Kohler-Andrae, and Potowatami state parks, Kettle Moraine State Forest--Southern Unit, and the Richard Bong State Recreation Area. The cabins include the following features.:
- Wheelchair accessible.
- The maximum number of people the cabin holds is six (or parents, children and not more than two guests). Additonal tents or camping trailers and RVs are not permitted.
- For cooking there is a kitchen with low counter, stove, microwave, and refrigerator.
- Cabins have two hospital beds with lift, a full-size sofa sleeper, and two cots.
- Cabins have a bathroom with wheel-in shower, bench, and shower commode chair.
- For electricity there are several outlets and lighting in the cabin.
- An attached screen porch.
You will need to bring food and drinks, cooking and eating utensils (dishes are not provided at any of the cabins), sheets/blankets/pillows/sleeping bags, towels and wash cloths, personal hygiene items, and, if you wish, extension cords, lawn chairs, and a cell phone.
Only certified service animals are allowed in the cabins. State law prohibits pets in state buildings.
A vehicle admission sticker is required on all motor vehicles using a state park and must be purchased on or before entry into the park. No more than two vehicles may be parked at the accessible cabin campsite.
Check-in time for the cabin is 3 p.m. Check out time is noon on the last day of the reservation period. The noon check out time allows the cabin to be cleaned for the next campers.
Accessible Cabin Fees
|Buckhorn State Park
High Cliff State Park
Kettle Moraine State Forest-Southern Unit
Kohler-Andrae State Park
Mirror Lake State Park
Potawatomi State Park
Richard Bong State Recreation Area
|$30 per night plus $4 reservation fee|
Accessible cabin reservations
Reservations are needed for all accessible cabins in the Wisconsin State Park System. Only one reservation period will be confirmed per application. Due to the high demand, reservations will not be accepted for more than four consecutive nights and no more than four nights per year. There is a $4 reservation fee in addition to the nightly cabin rate. The first day to make reservations is January 10. We will not accept applications postmarked or delivered before January 10.
- For the cabins, mail or deliver your completed Cabin Reservation Form (2500-085) to the state park/forest where you wish to reserve a cabin. Disabled applicants must identify themselves (or one of their camping party) on the application form. The addresses are listed on the form. Please make sure the envelope is marked "Cabin Reservation".
- You may reserve any cabin by calling the park between June 1 and August 31, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Check Availability of the Accessible Cabins
Camping Refunds for Accessible Cabins
Cancellation requests may be made in person, by telephone, or by mail. Requests are made directly to the property where the reservation has been confirmed.
- Full Refund: A full refund of all payments except the $4 reservation fee will be made if the park office receives the cancellation request at least 14 days before the cabin is to be occupied.
- Partial Refund: A refund of all payments except the $4 reservation fee and one night's cabin fee will be made if the park receives the cancellation request less than 14 days before the cabin is to be occupied. No refund will be issued once the cabin is occupied.
Accessible cabin seasons
Seasons for the accessible cabins, subject to change, are:
|Buckhorn State Park||May 1 to October 15||608-565-2789|
|Kettle Moraine South||May 1 to October 31||262-594-6200|
|Kohler-Andrae State Park||May 1 to October 17||920-451-4080|
|High Cliff State Park||May 15 to October 15||920-989-1106|
|Mirror Lake State Park||May 15 to October 15||608-254-2333|
|Potawatomi State Park||May 1 to October 20||920-746-2890|
|Richard Bong Recreation Area||April 25 to October 15||262-878-5600|