Subscribe to keep up to date on Lake Michigan fishing issues.
- Lake Michigan
- Contact information
- For information on Lake Michigan Fisheries contact:
- Bradley Eggold
Fishing Lake Michigan
Lake Michigan, or the big pond as many Wisconsinites know it, is the number one most frequently visited water in Wisconsin and it's easy to see why. Whether by boat or on shore, a fishing pole will bring you some of the state's best and most diverse fishing, not to mention picturesque views.
And with more than 15 million fish stocked annually to keep populations healthy - there's a good chance they'll be a bite at your line.
Help us plan for success. The DNR's Lake Michigan Fisheries Program is guided by a ten-year plan. We would like to hear from the public on the success of this plan plus suggestions and comments on the new plan. Please take a few moments to assist in this task.
Net pens in Great Lakes waters: comment opportunity
The DNR will be holding two public informational hearings on its intention to issue a statewide general permit for the placement of a net pen(s) in a Great Lakes water body or a tributary of a Great Lakes water body for the purpose of holding or rearing fish for noncommercial purposes and for a period not to exceed 8 weeks. To understand the issue, you're invited to read the environmental assessment and the DRAFT general permit
Meetings will be held:
- Friday, February 21st at 1:00pm at: DNR Service Center, The Lake Michigan Room, 2984 Shawano Ave, Green Bay, WI 54313
- Friday, February 28th 11:00am at: DNR Satellite Center, 2501 Golf Course Road, Ashland WI 54806.
- For more information or to submit written comments (written comments must be received by March 14, 2014). on the proposed statewide general permit or environmental assessment contact:
- Martin Griffin
P.O. Box 7921
Madison, WI 53707-7921
Fishing Lake Michigan
Find places to fish on your own or take a charter! This information will help you get started.
- Lake Michigan Fishing Report
- Root River Report
- Root River Open House
- Find a Tributary to Fish
- "Hook into a Good Time" - Questions and answers about taking your first charter fishing trip.
- Find a Fishing Charter
- Milwaukee Fall Fishing Brochure - 50 places to fish within 60 miles of Milwaukee
- Trap Net Safety
- Fish Consumption Advice
What Fish Might I Catch?
- WDNR Lake Michigan/Green Bay Offices
- Wisconsin DNR Staff Directory
- Joint Position - Wisconsin DNR and UW-Milwaukee
Get Weather Conditions
- Current stream flow
- Current stream conditions (temperature, dissolved oxygen, pH)
- Lake Michigan surface temperatures
- Wisconsin weather conditions
- Marine forecast - Lake Michigan - North and South Half
- Lake Michigan Buoys
- Lake Michigan - Green Bay Research Priorities
- Lake Michigan Charter Application Form
- Lake Michigan Fisheries Forum
- News Releases
- Root River Steelhead Facility Self-Guided Tour
- Lake Michigan Invasives