- Contact information
- For information on this page, contact:
- Matt Rehwald
SWDV File Manager
Environmental Management Division
Surface Water Data Viewer
The Surface Water Data Viewer (SWDV) is a Wisconsin DNR data delivery system that provides interactive webmapping tools for a wide variety of datasets including chemistry (water, sediment), physical, and biological (macroinvertebrate, fish) data.
This interactive web mapping application for surface water resources has been updgraded to an HTML 5 web application that will work in all current browsers. The interface has tabs which group similar sets of tools (similar to MS Word or Excel). Other features include drawing tools, the ability to add a KML, Shapefile, GPX, or tabular dataset with latitude/longitude coordinates, and the ability to change coordinate systems.
Launch Surface Water Data Viewer web mapping application
The SWDV has seven different “themes” or versions. The default is the general theme in which you manually select the datalayers you would like to view. The other themes preselect datalayers for you. Learn more about and explore the following available themes.
The wetlands theme portrays the state’s wetlands and related information upon opening the application. The featured datasets include the Wisconsin Wetland Inventory (Digital version) and a Wetlands Indicators datalayer. These datalayers are designed to help users determine if wetlands are likely present at their site. To learn more information about each layer click on its title. To determine if on-line wetland inventory maps are available for the county you are viewing, click on the Wisconsin map in the left side margin to begin your search.
Layer use suggestions
- With the Find Location tool, search by either Township, Range, Section, or Civil Town to bring your area of interest into view.
- Use the Zoom In, Zoom Out, and Move buttons to narrow your focus right on the property.
- Click on Identify, then click on either an yellow area to find out what kind of wetland is there, or a pink area to find out what kind of soil type is there. Print maps to save for later reference.
- Visit DNR Wetland Regulatory Programs for more information about wetland permits, and Locating Wetlands for more information about finding wetlands on your land.
Launch Surface Water Data Viewer - Wetlands and Wetland Indicators Theme
The Dams Theme portrays the state’s dams automatically. This online interactive map allows access to the dams inventory in Wisconsin. As an added bonus you can also view Air Photos (for all but six counties) and USGS Topographic Maps. You can turn on or off other datalayers but the dams are the featured dataset. To download the dams datalayer, go to Dams data downloads.
Launch Surface Water Data Viewer - Dams Theme
The Floodplain specialized theme portrays the state’s floodplain mapping datasets including: Floodplain Analysis Data, Digital FIRMs (new format), FIRM Images (old format), Cross Sections, Base Flood Elevations, and FIRM Panel Index. This set of floodplain data, which is continually updated through federal-state partnership work, provides a detailed representation of the most up-to-date floodplain delineations in the state.
Launch Surface Water Data Viewer - Floodplain Program Theme
- Designated Waters
An additional specialized "theme" is one that portrays the state’s Designated Waters (critical habitat and other sensitive aquatic resource areas). A Designated Water is a waterbody that has special designations that affect permit requirements.
Please note that Areas of Special Natural Resource Interest (ASNRI) waters and Public Rights Features (PRF) waters are also considered Priority Navigable Waters (PNW). Use the maps on this site to determine whether the lake or stream where you plan a project has a special designation.
How to find Designated Waters:
- Use the Zoom In, Zoom Out, and Move buttons to navigate the map.
- From the Find Location menu, select Waterbody Name and County to search for a named waterbody in a particular county.
- Click on the Identify button, then click on a waterbody on the map to access specific waterbody information and designation details.
- Go to Print to generate maps of your online information. Visit DNR Waterway and Wetland Protection for additional information.
Launch Surface Water Data Viewer - Designated Waters Theme
- Construction Permits
The Construction Permits Theme portrays the state’s online permitting tool. This online interactive map allows access to the datalayers that are involved in proposed permits.
Launch Surface Water Data Viewer - Construction Permits Theme
- Fish Advice
The Fish Consumption Advice Theme portrays the state’s existing recommended fish consumption levels. This online interactive map allows access to the datalayers that are involved in different levels of advice.
Launch Surface Water Data Viewer - Fish Consumption Advice Theme