Send Letter to Editor

Wisconsin Natural Resources magazine

Wisconsin Natural Resources magazine

logo1.jpg - 18141 Bytes

April 2006

Where can I get answers to my questions about groundwater?

Finding the information you need.

Natasha Kassulke and Laura Chern

There's plenty of information available to help you protect groundwater:


1. The DNR website at Groundwater provides answers to many groundwater questions. Need more information? Contact the Service Center nearest you.

2. The Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey has maps, well construction reports and other information on aquifers and geology. For a list of WGNHS publications, write Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey, 3817 Mineral Point Rd., Madison, WI 53705-5121. (608) 262-1705. Visit the survey at: Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey.

3. Your county University of Wisconsin-Extension office can help plan safe, functional farmyards and rural homes. Call or write your extension office for booklets on safe drinking water, groundwater protection, best management practices for pesticide and fertilizer use and other topics. Look for the address and phone number under the "county" listing in the phone book white pages, or visit UW Extension Learning for Life.

4. The Department of Commerce has the details on proper onsite sewage system operation. Write Department of Commerce, Division of Safety and Buildings, 201 W. Washington Ave., P.O. Box 7969, Madison, WI 53707-7969 and ask for publication SBD-7009, "Is the grass greener over your septic system?" Visit Wisconsin Department of Commerce.

nk3new.jpg - 5730 Bytes
Public water system owners face many distinct challenges in managing a public water supply. Among them, providing adequate supplies to all users, preventing contamination, and planning for a system's future needs.

© Robert Queen

5. The Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection offers information on best management practices and Clean Sweep Program for farms and atrazine prohibition areas. Write DATCP, 2811 Agriculture Dr., Madison, WI 53708-8911. (608)224-5002. On the web: Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection

6. The Central Wisconsin Groundwater Center is a clearinghouse for information on groundwater issues statewide, with a strong focus on Wisconsin's Central Sands area. The center maintains a database of private wells tested through the UW-Stevens Point Water and Environmental Analysis Laboratory, conducts applied research, and offers educational materials and programs. Write CWGC, College of Natural Resources Room 224, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, Stevens Point, WI 54481-3897. (715) 346-4270. Visit Central Wisconsin Groundwater Center.