Send Letter to Editor

Wisconsin Natural Resources magazine

Wisconsin Natural Resources magazine

suplogo.gif - 21136 Bytes

October 2002

How can I get help?

Assistance is available. Here's where to look.

Richard Rideout


W here can you find answers to your tree questions? Check out these frequently asked questions.

What's wrong with my tree?

  • Contact your community's forestry, parks or public works department.

  • Contact your County Extension office. Find it in your county listings in the phone book or on the web at County Offices. Some counties have a full or part-time horticulturist, or they can help you contact the two diagnostic labs below.

  • If it's a bug problem, check out the University of Wisconsin Insect Diagnostic Lab.

  • If it's a disease problem, contact the University of Wisconsin Plant Disease Diagnostics Clinic.

  • If you need someone to visit your property, contract with a certified arborist. A list of certified arborists, the area they serve and the services they provide can be found at Wisconsin Arborist Association or if you are close to the Minnesota border, the Minnesota Society of Arboriculture might help.

  • Other sources of information may be your local nursery, garden center or botanical garden.

What do I do about trees in power lines?

  • Contact your community forestry, parks or public works department, or

  • Contact your local electric utility company. Find their name and address on your monthly utility bill.

I need an expert witness, a damage assessment, or assistance in laying out a development or home site on a wooded lot. Who do I contact?

They're going to widen the street and cut down the trees. How can I stop it?

  • If they're there with the chain saws running, it's pretty tough. Planning for widening state roads begins six years out. It's a lot easier to get involved early in the planning process, where construction design can be changed to preserve more trees.

  • For city streets, contact your community's public works or street department.

  • For state roads through town (the numbered highways) contact your Wisconsin Dept. of Transportation District office.

My community doesn't have a tree program. How can I help get one started?

  • Contact your DNR regional urban forestry coordinator. These people work with local governments and organizations to help communities establish and improve urban forestry programs. Contact your local DNR service center or find the regional urban forestry coordinator for your county on the web at Urban Forestry Staff.

Where can I find more information?

  • Visit the DNR urban forestry website, which has links to various publications, organizations, websites and consultants that can help you. Visit Resources.