Fish and Aquatic Life
Goose Lake, in the Pike River Watershed, is a 17.11 acre lake that falls in Forest County. This lake is managed for fishing and swimming and is currently not considered impaired.
Author Aquatic Biologist
A very soft water seepage lake having slightly acid, clear water of moderate transparency. Bottom material is silt (75 percent), sand (24 percent), and boulders (1 percent). The shoreline is mostly wetland (70 percent) of bog, shrub and marsh with the remaining shoreline upland hardwood (30 percent). Due to its shallow depth, winterkill occurs and forage fish may be the only fish species present. Aquatic vegetation consisting of floating, emergent, and submergent types is relatively abundant. Nesting waterfowl and muskrat use this lake. The entire 0.85 mile of shoreline is Nicolet National Forest land and provides wilderness type public access. There is no boat landing. The shoreline is free of development. Source: 1977, Surface Water Resources of Forest County Goose Lake, T36N, R16E, Sec. 25 Surface Acres = 18, Maximum depth = 3 feet, Secchi disk = 3 feet
Author Surface Water Inventory Of Wisconsin
Wisconsin has over 84,000 miles of streams, 15,000 lakes and milllions of acres of wetlands. Assessing the condition of this vast amount of water is challenging. The state's water monitoring program uses a media-based, cross-program approach to analyze water condition. An updated monitoring strategy (2015-2020) is now available. Compliance with Clean Water Act fishable, swimmable standards are located in the Executive Summary of Water Condition in 2018. See also the 'monitoring and projects' tab.
Wisconsin's Water Quality Standards provide qualitative and quantitative goals for waters that are protective of Fishable, Swimmable conditions [Learn more]. Waters that do not meet water quality standards are considered impaired and restoration actions are planned and carried out until the water is once again fishable and swimmable
Management goals can include creation or implementation of a Total Maximum Daily Load analysis, a Nine Key Element Plan, or other restoration work, education and outreach and more. If specific recommendations exist for this water, they will be displayed below online.
Monitoring the condition of a river, stream, or lake includes gathering physical, chemical, biological, and habitat data. Comprehensive studies often gather all these parameters in great detail, while lighter assessment events will involve sampling physical, chemical and biological data such as macroinvertebrates. Aquatic macroinvertebrates and fish communities integrate watershed or catchment condition, providing great insight into overall ecosystem health. Chemical and habitat parameters tell researchers more about human induced problems including contaminated runoff, point source dischargers, or habitat issues that foster or limit the potential of aquatic communities to thrive in a given area. Wisconsin's Water Monitoring Strategy was recenty updated.
Grants and Management Projects
|WBIC||Official Waterbody Name||Station ID||Station Name||Earliest Fieldwork Date||Latest Fieldwork Date||View Station||View Data|
|586000||Goose Lake||10002638||Goose Lake||7/27/1999||9/16/2009||Map||Data|
Goose Lake is located in the Pike River watershed which is 284.74 mi². Land use in the watershed is primarily forest (76%), wetland (20.70%) and a mix of grassland (1.90%) and other uses (1.40%). This watershed has 330.07 stream miles, 1,478.51 lake acres and 33,494.56 wetland acres.
Nonpoint Source Characteristics
This watershed is ranked Low for runoff impacts on streams, Not Ranked for runoff impacts on lakes and Not Ranked for runoff impacts on groundwater and therefore has an overall rank of Not Ranked. This value can be used in ranking the watershed or individual waterbodies for grant funding under state and county programs.However, all waters are affected by diffuse pollutant sources regardless of initial water quality. Applications for specific runoff projects under state or county grant programs may be pursued. For more information, go to surface water program grants.