Fish and Aquatic Life
Foulds Springs (Middle Pond), in the Upper South Fork Flambeau River Watershed, is a 0.14 acre springs-lake that falls in Price County. This springs-lake is an outstanding/exceptional resource water under NR102 as well as a Class I Trout Water under the Fisheries Program. This springs-lake is managed for fishing and swimming and is currently not considered impaired.
Author Aquatic Biologist
Source: 1983, Surface Water Resources of Price County,WI: WI-DNR Foulds Springs, T38N- T39N, R3E, Section 3, 34 Surface Area = 2.9 acres, Maximum Depth = 5 ft, MPA = 65 ppm, Secchi disk = bottom Foulds Springs consists of a series of small spring ponds that form the headwaters of Foulds Creek. It has an outlet flow of 2.5 ft(3)sec. Dikes with overflow tubes maintain the water level of the upper two ponds, and there are at least six small spring feeders to the springs themselves. Brook trout, northern pike, white suckers, common shiners and creek chubs comprise the fishery. Sand and gravel make up 40% of the littoral bottom with muck the remaining 60%. Marsh grass surrounds 80% of the springs and upland the remainder. Aquatic vegetation is common throughout the spring system. Beaver are active in the lower pond, but other wildlife values are limited. There is no private development since the Chequamegon National Forest owns all the shoreline and provides a public access trail to the springs.
Author Surface Water Inventory Of Wisconsin
Wisconsin has over 84,000 miles of streams, 15,000 lakes and milllions of acres of wetlands. Assessing the condition of this vast amount of water is challenging. The state's water monitoring program uses a media-based, cross-program approach to analyze water condition. An updated monitoring strategy (2015-2020) is now available.
Compliance with Clean Water Act fishable, swimmable standards are located in the Executive Summary of Water Condition in 2016 . See also 'monitoring' and 'projects'.
Wisconsin's Water Quality Standards provide qualitative and quantitative goals for waters that are protective of Fishable, Swimmable conditions [Learn more]. Waters that do not meet water quality standards are considered impaired and restoration actions are planned and carried out until the water is once again fishable and swimmable
Management goals can include creation or implementation of a Total Maximum Daily Load analysis, a Nine Key Element Plan, or other restoration work, education and outreach and more. If specific recommendations exist for this water, they will be displayed below online.
Monitoring the condition of a river, stream, or lake includes gathering physical, chemical, biological, and habitat data. Comprehensive studies often gather all these parameters in great detail, while lighter assessment events will involve sampling physical, chemical and biological data such as macroinvertebrates. Aquatic macroinvertebrates and fish communities integrate watershed or catchment condition, providing great insight into overall ecosystem health. Chemical and habitat parameters tell researchers more about human induced problems including contaminated runoff, point source dischargers, or habitat issues that foster or limit the potential of aquatic communities to thrive in a given area. Wisconsin's Water Monitoring Strategy was recenty updated.
Grants and Management Projects
|Project Name (Click for Details)||Year Started|
|WBIC||Official Waterbody Name||Station ID||Station Name||Earliest Fieldwork Date||Latest Fieldwork Date||View Station||View Data|
|2273900||Foulds Springs||10022180||Foulds Springs||Map||Data|
Foulds Springs is located in the Upper South Fork Flambeau River watershed which is 278.98 mi². Land use in the watershed is primarily forest (54.80%), wetland (38.80%) and a mix of open (4.60%) and other uses (1.70%). This watershed has 254.56 stream miles, 8,509.29 lake acres and 63,099.27 wetland acres.
Nonpoint Source Characteristics
This watershed is ranked Not Ranked for runoff impacts on streams, Low for runoff impacts on lakes and Low for runoff impacts on groundwater and therefore has an overall rank of Low. This value can be used in ranking the watershed or individual waterbodies for grant funding under state and county programs.However, all waters are affected by diffuse pollutant sources regardless of initial water quality. Applications for specific runoff projects under state or county grant programs may be pursued. For more information, go to surface water program grants.