Fish and Aquatic Life
Hammil Lake, in the Upper Namekagon River Watershed, is a 77.44 acre lake that falls in Bayfield County. This lake is managed for fishing and swimming and is currently not considered impaired.
Author Aquatic Biologist
Source: 1971, Surface Water Resources of Bayfield County,WI: WI-DNR Hammil Lake, T44N, R8W, Section 25
A soft water, landlocked, seepage lake containing walleye, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, cisco, and panfish. All of the adjoining lake shore is upland, with mixed hardwoods making up 85 percent of the surrounding vegetation and various conifers making up the remaining 15 percent. Most of the shoreline bottom type is sand with a few scattered areas of gravel and rock. Aquatic vegetation is sparse. Muskrat are present in rather significant numbers while beaver are absent. Light use is also made of the lake by migratory waterfowl. Private development consists of ten cottages, and there is no public frontage or access road.
Surface Acres = 82.5, Maximum Depth = 50 feet, M.P.A. 16 ppm, Secchi Disk = 19 feet
Author Surface Water Inventory Of Wisconsin
Hammil Lake (2467900) was assessed during the 2016 listing cycle; total phosphorus and chlorophyll sample data were clearly below 2016 WisCALM listing thresholds for the Recreation use and Fish and Aquatic Life use. This water is meeting these designated uses and is not considered impaired.
Author Ashley Beranek
Wisconsin has over 84,000 miles of streams, 15,000 lakes and milllions of acres of wetlands. Assessing the condition of this vast amount of water is challenging. The state's water monitoring program uses a media-based, cross-program approach to analyze water condition. An updated monitoring strategy (2015-2020) is now available. Compliance with Clean Water Act fishable, swimmable standards are located in the Executive Summary of Water Condition in 2018. See also the 'monitoring and projects' tab.
Wisconsin's Water Quality Standards provide qualitative and quantitative goals for waters that are protective of Fishable, Swimmable conditions [Learn more]. Waters that do not meet water quality standards are considered impaired and restoration actions are planned and carried out until the water is once again fishable and swimmable
Management goals can include creation or implementation of a Total Maximum Daily Load analysis, a Nine Key Element Plan, or other restoration work, education and outreach and more. If specific recommendations exist for this water, they will be displayed below online.
Monitoring the condition of a river, stream, or lake includes gathering physical, chemical, biological, and habitat data. Comprehensive studies often gather all these parameters in great detail, while lighter assessment events will involve sampling physical, chemical and biological data such as macroinvertebrates. Aquatic macroinvertebrates and fish communities integrate watershed or catchment condition, providing great insight into overall ecosystem health. Chemical and habitat parameters tell researchers more about human induced problems including contaminated runoff, point source dischargers, or habitat issues that foster or limit the potential of aquatic communities to thrive in a given area. Wisconsin's Water Monitoring Strategy was recenty updated.
Grants and Management Projects
|Project Name (Click for Details)||Year Started|
|WBIC||Official Waterbody Name||Station ID||Station Name||Earliest Fieldwork Date||Latest Fieldwork Date||View Station||View Data|
|2467900||Hammil Lake||044012||Hammil Lake - Hammil Lake||7/10/1979||7/10/1979||Map||Data|
|2467900||Hammil Lake||10000904||Hammil Lake||9/5/2000||4/24/2020||Map||Data|
|2467900||Hammil Lake||043148||Hammil Lake - Near Center||4/27/2000||8/23/2021||Map||Data|
Hammil Lake is located in the Upper Namekagon River watershed which is 197.80 mi². Land use in the watershed is primarily forest (74.10%), wetland (16.70%) and a mix of open (4.60%) and other uses (4.70%). This watershed has 135.34 stream miles, 6,298.06 lake acres and 19,026.69 wetland acres.
Nonpoint Source Characteristics
This watershed is ranked Not Ranked for runoff impacts on streams, Not Ranked for runoff impacts on lakes and Low for runoff impacts on groundwater and therefore has an overall rank of Low. This value can be used in ranking the watershed or individual waterbodies for grant funding under state and county programs.However, all waters are affected by diffuse pollutant sources regardless of initial water quality. Applications for specific runoff projects under state or county grant programs may be pursued. For more information, go to surface water program grants.