Fish and Aquatic Life
Chippewa Lake, in the West Fork Chippewa River Watershed, is a 281.94 acre lake that falls in Bayfield County. This lake is managed for fishing and swimming and is currently not considered impaired.
Author Aquatic Biologist
Source: 1971, Surface Water Resources of Bayfield County,WI: WI-DNR Chippewa Lake, T43N, R5W, Section 15
A drained lake at the headwaters of the West Fork Chippewa River. Outlet flow of the stream is estimated to be, normally, 28.0 cubic feet per second. The lake has a fish population consisting of largemouth bass and panfish, however, due to the extreme shallowness, winterkills occur occasionally. The shoreline bottom type is 80 percent muck with scattered areas of sandy gravel, and boulders making up the remaining 20 percent. Tamarack, spruce, tag alder, grasses, and mixed hardwoods make up the vegetation surrounding the lake. Aquatic vegetation is abundant but is not a problem. Muskrat and beaver are common here as well as nesting mallards, blue-winged teal, and loons. Two small privately-owned islands and a rock navigation hazard are present in the northwest bay of the lake. Private development consists of the University of Wisconsin Research Station located on the east shore of the lake. A new federal access on the west side of the lake provides the only public access. The entire lake is in Chequamegon National Forest and State of Wisconsin ownership.
Surface Acres = 319.0, Maximum Depth = 11 feet, M.P.A. = 39 ppm, Secchi Disk = 7 feet
Author Surface Water Inventory Of Wisconsin
Wisconsin has over 84,000 miles of streams, 15,000 lakes and milllions of acres of wetlands. Assessing the condition of this vast amount of water is challenging. The state's water monitoring program uses a media-based, cross-program approach to analyze water condition. An updated monitoring strategy (2015-2020) is now available. Compliance with Clean Water Act fishable, swimmable standards are located in the Executive Summary of Water Condition in 2018. See also the 'monitoring and projects' tab.
Wisconsin's Water Quality Standards provide qualitative and quantitative goals for waters that are protective of Fishable, Swimmable conditions [Learn more]. Waters that do not meet water quality standards are considered impaired and restoration actions are planned and carried out until the water is once again fishable and swimmable
Management goals can include creation or implementation of a Total Maximum Daily Load analysis, a Nine Key Element Plan, or other restoration work, education and outreach and more. If specific recommendations exist for this water, they will be displayed below online.
Monitoring the condition of a river, stream, or lake includes gathering physical, chemical, biological, and habitat data. Comprehensive studies often gather all these parameters in great detail, while lighter assessment events will involve sampling physical, chemical and biological data such as macroinvertebrates. Aquatic macroinvertebrates and fish communities integrate watershed or catchment condition, providing great insight into overall ecosystem health. Chemical and habitat parameters tell researchers more about human induced problems including contaminated runoff, point source dischargers, or habitat issues that foster or limit the potential of aquatic communities to thrive in a given area. Wisconsin's Water Monitoring Strategy was recenty updated.
Grants and Management Projects
|WBIC||Official Waterbody Name||Station ID||Station Name||Earliest Fieldwork Date||Latest Fieldwork Date||View Station||View Data|
|2431300||Chippewa Lake||10000888||Chippewa Lake||8/29/2000||9/21/2017||Map||Data|
|2431300||Chippewa Lake||10041330||Chippewa Lake Access||Map||Data|
|2431300||Chippewa Lake||043009||UW Clam Lake (on Chippewa Lake) Field Station Stp||6/27/1975||7/21/1975||Map||Data|
|2431300||Chippewa Lake||10019577||Chippewa Lake -- Access at E Side of Lake||Map||Data|
|2431300||Chippewa Lake||10020979||Chippewa Lake - Deepest Spot||8/6/2007||8/6/2007||Map||Data|
Chippewa Lake is located in the West Fork Chippewa River watershed which is 284.78 mi². Land use in the watershed is primarily forest (62%), wetland (33.60%) and a mix of open (4.30%) and other uses (0%). This watershed has 256.71 stream miles, 6,208.10 lake acres and 60,035.54 wetland acres.
Nonpoint Source Characteristics
This watershed is ranked Low for runoff impacts on streams, Low for runoff impacts on lakes and Low for runoff impacts on groundwater and therefore has an overall rank of Low. This value can be used in ranking the watershed or individual waterbodies for grant funding under state and county programs.However, all waters are affected by diffuse pollutant sources regardless of initial water quality. Applications for specific runoff projects under state or county grant programs may be pursued. For more information, go to surface water program grants.