Fish and Aquatic Life
Demlow Springs, in the Red River Watershed, is a 12.68 acre lake that falls in Langlade County. This lake is an outstanding/exceptional resource water under NR102 as well as a Class I Trout Water under the Fisheries Program. This lake is managed for fishing and swimming and is currently not considered impaired.
Author Aquatic Biologist
Source: 1977, Surface Water Resources of Langlade County Lower Demlow Spring Pond T-30-N, R-12-E, Sec. 3, Surface Acres = 11.5, Maximum Depth = 3 feet, Secchi Disk = greater than 3 feet.
A hard water spring lake having slightly alkaline, clear water of moderate transparency. The immediate shoreline is predominantly hardwood upland (80%) with the remainder being wetland (20%) shrub, conifer, and hardwood. The littoral materials are mostly silt (90%) with some sand (7%), gravel (2%), and rubble (19%). The lake basin supports a dense growth of submergent aquatic vegetation. Both the inlet and outlet streams are navigable with small craft and are a part of Mayking Creek. Waterfowl are known to use this spring lake. The shoreline is free of development, Of the 0.64 mile of shoreline, 0.41 mile is public and controlled by the Department of Natural Resources. Fish inhabiting this spring lake include brook trout and an occasional brown trout.
Author Surface Water Inventory Of Wisconsin
Wisconsin has over 84,000 miles of streams, 15,000 lakes and milllions of acres of wetlands. Assessing the condition of this vast amount of water is challenging. The state's water monitoring program uses a media-based, cross-program approach to analyze water condition. An updated monitoring strategy (2015-2020) is now available.
Compliance with Clean Water Act fishable, swimmable standards are located in the Executive Summary of Water Condition in 2016 . See also 'monitoring' and 'projects'.
Wisconsin's Water Quality Standards provide qualitative and quantitative goals for waters that are protective of Fishable, Swimmable conditions [Learn more]. Waters that do not meet water quality standards are considered impaired and restoration actions are planned and carried out until the water is once again fishable and swimmable
Management goals can include creation or implementation of a Total Maximum Daily Load analysis, a Nine Key Element Plan, or other restoration work, education and outreach and more. If specific recommendations exist for this water, they will be displayed below online.
Monitoring the condition of a river, stream, or lake includes gathering physical, chemical, biological, and habitat data. Comprehensive studies often gather all these parameters in great detail, while lighter assessment events will involve sampling physical, chemical and biological data such as macroinvertebrates. Aquatic macroinvertebrates and fish communities integrate watershed or catchment condition, providing great insight into overall ecosystem health. Chemical and habitat parameters tell researchers more about human induced problems including contaminated runoff, point source dischargers, or habitat issues that foster or limit the potential of aquatic communities to thrive in a given area. Wisconsin's Water Monitoring Strategy was recenty updated.
Grants and Management Projects
|Project Name (Click for Details)||Year Started|
|WBIC||Official Waterbody Name||Station ID||Station Name||Earliest Fieldwork Date||Latest Fieldwork Date||View Station||View Data|
|337300||Lower Demlow Lake||10003302||Lower Demlow Lake||7/27/1999||7/20/2011||Map||Data|
Lower Demlow Lake is located in the Red River watershed which is 207.12 mi². Land use in the watershed is primarily forest (54.20%), wetland (20.40%) and a mix of agricultural (15%) and other uses (10.30%). This watershed has 206.51 stream miles, 785.38 lake acres and 24,271.01 wetland acres.
Nonpoint Source Characteristics
This watershed is ranked Low for runoff impacts on streams, Not Ranked for runoff impacts on lakes and Medium for runoff impacts on groundwater and therefore has an overall rank of Medium. This value can be used in ranking the watershed or individual waterbodies for grant funding under state and county programs.However, all waters are affected by diffuse pollutant sources regardless of initial water quality. Applications for specific runoff projects under state or county grant programs may be pursued. For more information, go to surface water program grants.