BULLHEAD LAKE ADVANCEMENT ASSOCIATION, INC: LMI - Bullhead Lake Alum Treatment Feasibility Study

Purpose

The Bullhead Lake Advancement Association, Inc. is sponsoring a project to assess the feasibility of an alum treatment on Bullhead Lake as specified in their 2019 Comprehensive Lake Management Plan. Project final deliverables include: all data collected and a summary report of the alum treatment feasibility study. Specific project activities include: 1) Collecting water quality samples during the growing season to determine mass of phosphorus from Bullhead Lake bottom sediments to overlying water; 2) Collecting sediment cores to determine the correct alum dose to significantly reduce internal nutrient loading; 3) Inventory best management practice installation and implementation in the watershed to estimate current phosphorus load from surface watershed utilizing STEPL and WiLMS models; 4) Using the data gathered, determine if an alum treatment would be fiscally feasible and produce sufficient and long-term improvements to water quality; 5) Hold a public meeting to deliver the study results; and 6) Produce a summary report of the findings. This scope summarizes the project detail provided in the application and does not negate tasks/deliverables described therein. Data, records, and reports, including GIS-based maps, and digital images, must be submitted to the Department in a format specified by the regional Lake Biologist. If consultant is to provide final report, it is recommended that Grantee provide DNR Lake Coordinator with a draft for comment on report adequacy prior to making final payment to the consultant. DNR to receive both paper and electronic .pdf copies of the final report along with, or prior to submission of grantee's final payment request

Related Reports

Run Project Summary Report
View Umbrella-Projects
View Related-Projects

Lakes Grant
Lake Protection Grant
LPT63219
2019
Active
 
Reports and Documents
Bullhead Lake is an approximate 73-acre, eutrophic, deep headwater drainage lake with a maximum depth of 38 feet and a mean depth of 14 feet. The lake’s watershed encompasses approximately 301 acres, yielding a small watershed to lake area ratio of 3:1. Watershed composition includes 96 acres of agricultural row crops (32%), 73 acres of the lake’s surface (24%), 44 acres of forested wetlands (15%), 40 acres of low density urban land use (13%), 37 acres of upland forests (12%), 7 acres of non-forested wetlands (2%), and 4 acres of ruderal grasslands (2%). Approximately 31% of the lake’s shoreline contains a moderate to high degree of human development with little to no natural habitat, while the remaining 69% contains minimal to no development and has intact natural habitat.
 
Activities & Recommendations
Grant Awarded
Grant LPT63219 awarded
 
Watershed
 
Waters