LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

ways to reduce wildlife-human conflict and avoid wildlife damage.
Wisconsin's rare plants, animals and natural communities.
tips to manage your land for wildlife.
about wildlife health and rehabilitation.
Related links
Know CWD website

Know CWD [exit DNR] General information about CWD in Wisconsin including common misconceptions.

Related sites
Contact information
For information on sick deer, contact:
Nancy Businga
Wildlife disease specialist/health lab manager
Bureau of Wildlife Management

What to do if you see a sick or dead deer

The department would like to be notified if you see a sick or dead deer. Sick deer reporting is the most efficient way to monitor disease and remove disease agents from the landscape. Your cooperation is appreciated! Additional information on deer health.

County contacts

Contact the local biologist in your county if you see a sick or dead deer. If it is after hours, or a biologist isn't available please contact the department's hotline at 1-800-847-9367. Staff will relay the information to the conservation warden who is currently working in the area. In the southern part of the state an additional contact would be the deer biologist, Eric Canania who can be reached by phone, 608-341-9615, or by email.

County wildlife biologists
Adams Florence Marathon Rusk
Ashland Fond Du Lac Marinette St. Croix
Barron Forest Marquette Sauk
Bayfield Grant Menominee Sawyer
Brown Green Milwaukee Shawano
Buffalo Green Lake Monroe Sheboygan
Burnett Iowa Oconto Taylor
Calumet Iron Oneida Trempealeau
Chippewa Jackson Outagamie Vernon
Clark Jefferson Ozaukee Vilas
Columbia Juneau Pepin Walworth
Crawford Kenosha Pierce Washburn
Dane Kewaunee Polk Washington
Dodge La Crosse Portage Waukesha
Door Lafayette Price Waupaca
Douglas Langlade Racine Waushara
Dunn Lincoln Richland Winnebago
Eau Claire Manitowoc Rock Wood

During an open deer hunting season

If you have a valid deer hunting license with an unused harvest authorization for a deer that appears sick, you may shoot the deer following all applicable laws and regulations. Then, contact your local wildlife biologist or conservation warden who will conduct an evaluation of the animal and may issue you a free replacement harvest authorization. If you are in doubt and have the opportunity prior to shooting a suspected sick deer, please contact your local wildlife or law enforcement staff in advance. In addition, the DNR is also interested in reports of multiple dead deer found in any one area.

Outside of an open deer hunting season

If you see a deer that you suspect may be sick outside of a deer hunting season or when you may not have a valid harvest authorization for the animal during one of our deer hunting seasons, please contact your local wildlife biologist or conservation warden and they may either come to your location and dispatch the deer or may give you permission to shoot the animal so we can collect it at a later time. In addition, the DNR is also interested in reports of multiple dead deer found in any one area.

Chronic wasting disease

If a deer is showing signs of CWD it should be tested. Transport the deer to a CWD sampling station if one is available in the area during a deer hunting season or contact your local biologist or conservation warden.

Clinical signs of CWD

  • No fear of humans
  • Teeth grinding
  • Notable weakness
  • Drooping of head and ears
  • Excessive thirst
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Walking in set patterns
  • Nervousness
  • Loss of coordination
  • Excessive salivation
  • Diminished tone of facial muscles
  • Excessive urination
  • Severe emaciation and dehydration
  • Inability to stand

CWD positive deer

Last revised: Wednesday September 05 2018