LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

ways to reduce wildlife-human conflict and avoid wildlife damage.
Wisconsin's rare plants, animals and natural communities.
tips to manage your land for wildlife.
about wildlife health and rehabilitation.
Contact information
For information about how to deal with wildlife causing damage, contact: your local wildlife biologist.
For information about how to deal with nuisance bears, wolves and birds, contact your district USDA office:
USDA-WS, Waupun district
1201 Storbeck Dr.
Waupun, WI 53963
USDA-WS, Rhinelander district
PO Box 1064
Rhinelander, WI 54501
*Toll free numbers only
work within Wisconsin.

Damaging and nuisance wildlife

Wild animals can bring a sense of wonder and thrill to our lives, but sometimes, when they get a little too "up close and personal" they can become a bit of a nuisance. Some wildlife can even damage our property: chewing or pecking on the wood siding of our houses, nibbling our garden produce, destroying our farm crops, digging up our flower bulbs or turning our over our garbage cans and backyard grills.

Wildlife causing damage

Wisconsin has a program that assists farmers when wildlife damage their agricultural crops. The Wildlife Damage Abatement and Claims Program (WDACP) provides damage prevention assistance and partial compensation to farmers when wild deer, bear, geese and turkeys damage their agricultural crops. Wildlife managers issue agricultural damage shooting permits to farmers for removal of deer (and occasionally bear, geese and turkeys) that cause damage.

Nuisance wildlife

If you have questions or are experiencing problems with nuisance bears, wolves or birds, please contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Wildlife Services at one of the two district offices in Waupun and Rhinelander.

If you have questions or are experiencing nuisance problems with wildlife species other than bears, wolves and birds, please contact your local DNR Service Center.

The local DNR staff will provide advice and assistance over the phone to help you legally solve your nuisance problems. The following guideline will provide information that you must follow to solve your nuisance wildlife problems.

Nuisance Wildlife Guidelines [PDF]

If you are unable to solve your own nuisance problem, refer to the Wisconsin Trapper Association's Nuisance Wild Animal Removal Referral Handbook [exit DNR] or contact a local pest control operator. Many Private nuisance pest control operators are listed in your local yellow pages under "Pest Control Services."

Ways to reduce wildlife human conflict and avoid wildlife damage

Last revised: Thursday December 06 2018