LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

ways to reduce wildlife-human conflict and avoid wildlife damage.
Wisconsin's rare plants, animals and natural communities.
tips to manage your land for wildlife.
about wildlife health and rehabilitation.
Contact information
For information on DMAP, contact:

Frequently asked questions Deer Management Assistance Program

What is the Deer Management Assistance Program?

The Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP) provides habitat and herd management assistance to landowners and hunters interested in managing their property for wildlife. The department will assist DMAP cooperators with the implementation of habitat and deer management practices that will emphasize property goals while considering the ecological and social impacts of white-tailed deer.

Can landowners interested in managing habitat for wildlife other than deer enroll in DMAP?

Yes! DMAP offers general recommendations for improving habitat for a variety of wildlife species, as well as methods for addressing deer damage to wildlife habitat. With a focus on managing for natural, native food and cover, DMAP can help maximize the wildlife value of the property’s existing habitat.

How do I apply for DMAP?

The preferred method to apply is using the MyDMAP online database which can be accessed through the main DMAP page. Paper applications are available upon request at DNR offices or by calling the contact information listed to the right.

What is the deadline to apply for DMAP?

Applications can be submitted at any time to immediately receive DMAP benefits. Properties 160 acres or larger (DMAP Levels 2 and 3) should apply by March 1 to be eligible for a site visit and management plan in that year.

Are there any requirements for DMAP cooperators?

Cooperators that enroll 160 acres or more (Level 2 and 3) are required to pay the enrollment fee, record deer harvest infomation and track the use of DMAP antlerless tags (if issued).

Can corporations, businesses, trusts or similar entities enroll in DMAP?

Yes. However, prior to successful enrollment in DMAP the corporation or similar entity must complete documentation that identifies an "authorized representative" who has the ability to make decisions on behalf of the entity.

What is a DMAP group cooperative?

A DMAP group cooperative is defined as an association of individual property owners or their representatives who are not organized as a business entity but are organized for the purpose of managing deer and other wildlife resources, and whose members have agreed to participate in DMAP. Group cooperatives must designate a representative landowner as a primary contact. The primary contact will serve as the point of contact between DNR staff and other cooperative members.

What are the benefits of joining a group cooperative?

Group cooperatives are a good way for landowners to network with neighbors that share similar land management goals. Group cooperatives may help individual landowners achieve the minimum acreage requirements for level 2 or 3 benefits. Landowners may also be able to share costs and equipment to conduct habitat management activities over a larger area, which may enhance habitat for a wider variety of wildlife.

Does a DMAP group cooperative only include adjoining properties?

No. However, each property enrolled in a group cooperative must be within one-half mile of another property in the cooperative.

How many properties can be included in a DMAP group cooperative?

There is no limit to the number of properties that may be included in a group cooperative.

Can a landowner add additional properties to their group cooperative after they enroll in the program?

Yes, even after a landowner has enrolled in DMAP, they may add additional landowners/properties to their individual property or cooperative. However, those landowners/properties that are added following the initial enrollment date will still adhere to the initial enrollment date when determining when their three-year contract will expire.

Can someone who manages a property that they do not personally own enroll that property in DMAP?

Yes, but only with approval from the owner of the property. This includes having the landowner register in the MyDMAP database and then designating the property manager as their authorized representative.

How will DMAP be applied on public lands?

Public land managers with an interest in DMAP are welcome to apply. DNR staff will work with land managers to accomplish one or more of the following objectives.

  • Provide management options to help address deer management concerns and reach habitat objectives.
  • Promote wildlife habitat improvement projects on public properties where quality habitat is limited.
  • Provide citizen science and educational opportunities.
  • Provide additional deer hunting opportunities.

DMAP may be a good fit for public lands with urban deer issues, localized areas where deer impact vegetation, or properties with existing management plans that would benefit from additional emphasis on wildlife habitat and management recommendations.

How will properties that are enrolled in the Managed Forest Law (MFL) or Forest Crop Law (FCL) program work within DMAP?

Properties enrolled in MFL or FCL may participate in DMAP. Level 2 and 3 DMAP enrollees enrolled in MFL or FCL will have a management plan for that program and a DMAP management plan. The DMAP plan will provide additional detail on wildlife habitat and management, which will complement the recommendations provided in the MFL or FCL plan.

For DMAP, are properties enrolled in the Managed Forest Law program considered private or public lands?

Currently, properties enrolled in the MFL program (open or closed) are considered private properties for DMAP. This means that MFL properties enrolled in DMAP are eligible for private land benefits and management recommendations. If eligible for DMAP antlerless tags, properties enrolled in MFL will receive tags specific to the private DMAP property.

For those enrolled in DMAP levels 2 and 3, who will be conducting the site visit?

A DNR wildlife biologist and forester will conduct the initial site visit. Site visits usually occur in the spring or summer at a time of mutual convenience to department staff and the landowner or property manager. The landowner or authorized representative must be present for the initial site visit.

Who will authorize the issuance of DMAP antlerless tags?

Local biologists will authorize the issuance of DMAP antlerless tags for a given property or group cooperative. DMAP antlerless tags will be made available for purchase through the Go Wild licensing system, similar to other license purchases. DMAP tags are issued following the site visit, at the discretion of the wildlife biologist in consultation with the landowner or representative.

How will the department determine if DMAP antlerless tags should be issued to enrollees?

The department will consider information collected by department staff during the initial site visit. Site visit information will include an assessment of current habitat conditions; a browse severity survey; deer harvest history; an assessment of local deer numbers; and property habitat goals as discussed with the landowner or representative(s).

Will DMAP antlerless tags be issued in Deer Management Units that do not have an antlerless quota for the year?

Yes, however, antlerless harvest tags are property-specific and are not guaranteed to all DMAP cooperators.

How do DMAP cooperators obtain DMAP antlerless tags?

DMAP antlerless tags for the property or cooperative are issued to the Go Wild account for landowners listed in the MyDMAP database. Go Wild will track tag purchases and count down the number of tags available for the property or cooperative as the tags are purchased. Like other carcass tags, DMAP antlerless tags can be printed at home, at a DNR service center or at a license agent for a $2 processing fee.

Can landowners sell DMAP antlerless tags to other hunters?

Yes. Landowners or representatives can be reimbursed for the original cost of DMAP antlerless tags, which may only be used on the DMAP property for which they were issued.

How do hunters register a deer harvested and tagged with a DMAP antlerless tag?

Hunters will use the GameReg system to register deer by calling 1-844-426-3734 or going online to Upon completing the registration process, the hunter will receive a 10-character confirmation number to write on the paper DMAP antlerless tag. This will serve as proof of registration. DMAP cooperators are also encouraged to enter harvest information and observations through the MyDMAP database, but this does not fulfill the registration requirement.

Who can participate in DMAP workshops?

DMAP cooperators at all levels are encouraged to attend a DMAP workshop and bring along interested family members, neighbors, and friends. Workshops are one of the benefits offered to all DMAP cooperators, and Level 1, 2 and 3 cooperators and one or two guests are encouraged to attend one or more DMAP workshops. However, others interested in attending a workshop can sign up for DMAP at Level 1 at any time to gain eligibility for the workshop and receive other Level 1 benefits.

Workshops present current information on deer and habitat management, and offer an opportunity for cooperators to network with other cooperators and natural resources professionals. Topics vary by workshop, but usually include deer herd health, deer management strategies, wildlife biology, forest and habitat management, funding sources and much more. Workshops are typically a mix of talks from guest speakers, hands-on activities and field trips. Summer workshops feature a DMAP property tour, while winter workshops center on deer biology and monitoring.

Last revised: Friday December 22 2017