LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

a water withdrawal or terminate a registration.
annual water use data.
fees for registered water withdrawals.
water use data and maps.

Subscribe to receive email updates about the Great Lakes Compact or Water Use Program.

Contact information
For information on this page, contact:
Water Use Program
WI Department of Natural Resources
Water Use Section DG/5
PO Box 7921
Madison WI 53707-7921

Water use registration

Registration process

To register a property, complete the form below:

When completeing this form, it is important to know that:

  • New or increased withdrawals must be registered prior to beginning to withdrawal.
  • A separate registration form must be completed for each property with a water supply system meeting the withdrawal requirements.
  • One property means all contiguous land controlled by one owner or lessee, or any other person having a possessory interest.
  • You may need a water use permit if you are withdrawing water in the Great Lakes Basin.
  • You may also need a permit from the DNR Waterways Protection Program if you are withdrawing water from a river, stream, or flowage for the purpose of agriculture, irrigation, or for maintaining the natural flows in a waterway.

Withdrawal registration requirements

You must register a water withdrawal if you have a water supply system (e.g. well or surface water intake pipe) with the capacity to withdraw 100,000 gallons per day (70 gallons per minute). The only exemptions to this requirement include:

  • Withdrawals to supply vehicles for the needs of the persons or animals being transported or for ballast or other needs related to the operation of the vehicles; and
  • Temporary withdrawals for fire-fighting, humanitarian, or emergency response purposes.

Withdrawal definition

"Withdraw or withdrawal means the taking of water from surface water or groundwater."

There are many different methods for withdrawing water including wells, intake pipes, and ditches. When someone withdraws water, it is taken out of or redirected from its natural course making it unavailable for other purposes, even if only temporarily.

For more information, see our factsheets:

Termination process

To terminate a registration, the connection between the water source(s) and the water supply system(s) must be physically eliminated or reduced in size permanently to a capacity of less than 100,000 gallons per day (70 gallons per minute).

For High Capacity Wells - To terminate your registration, you must either:

  1. Install a Smaller Pump - Complete and submit a Termination of Water Withdrawal Registration Form #3300-271 [PDF 20 KB].
  2. Properly Fill and Seal the Well - Complete and submit a Well Filling and Sealing Report. Your registration will be terminated if the total water withdrawal capacity from your property is less than 100,000 gallons per day.

For Surface Water Withdrawals - This may require filling channels and removing water control structures. Complete and submit Termination of Water Withdrawal Registration Form #3300-271 [PDF 20 KB]

What happens if I terminate my registration?

The termination of a withdrawal registration for a property may result in the termination of your:

  • High capacity well approval
  • Chapter 30 permit
  • Withdrawal baseline (for those properties in the Great Lakes basin)
  • Water Use permit (for those properties in the Great Lakes basin)
  • Water Use Fees Obligation

Any "grandfathered" provisions associated with the old withdrawal will no longer be in effect.

If in the future you wish to increase the capacity of a water supply system to greater than 100,000 gallons per day you will be considered a new withdrawer and will have to meet all current regulations.

This may include obtaining a new withdrawal registration, a new water use permit, and a new high capacity well approval (if you are installing a well) or chapter 30 permit (if you are withdrawing from a lake or river).

Transfer registration of an existing property

New owners of properties with existing High Capacity Wells or a Chapter 30.18 permit to withdraw water may request to have these approvals transferred to them by completing this form:

A new owner may also use this form to transfer a property's Water Use Registration and General Water Use Permit to them.

Important Note: If the new owner(s) of the land associated with a prior Chapter 30.18 permit do not own the exact same riparian land as the original chapter 30.18 permit holder, the permit cannot be transferred and the new owner(s) will have to apply for a new 30.18 permit. Application materials can be found on the Waterways Protection Program website at the bottom of the page.

Last revised: Thursday May 07 2015