LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

Frequently Asked Questions
straight from our call center
About Chef Tim
and his recipes
Violation Hotline
help us!

Frequently Asked Questions

September 9, 2011

Here are answers to some of the recent most frequently asked law enforcement questions taken this week by the DNR Call Center.
The Call Center is staffed daily, 7 a.m. - 10 p.m., and offers bilingual service in Spanish and Hmong. The number is 1-888-936-7463.

Question 1: Is it legal to spear fish under water? If so, what kind of fish can be harvested?

Answer: Yes, it is lawful to use spears and spear guns by skin and scuba diving in all waters where spearing for rough fish is permitted from sunrise to sunset and following the spearing seasons. Species that can be harvested include rough fish, white bass, yellow bass, rock bass, crappie, bluegill, perch, pumpkinseed, and bullheads. Daily bag and length limits apply as well as fishing seasons for the species in the water being fished.

Question 2: My kids have two small ATVs that they want to ride on the trails with us. Do they have to be registered?

Answer: Yes, they have to have a Public Registration sticker on them. They are registered in the same manner as the larger ATVs.

Question 3: What do I need to do to transfer my Class A bear license to a youth?

Answer: Any person can transfer a Class A bear license, as well as most other licenses or permits obtained through a random or preference drawing process to an eligible youth. To be transferred a hunting license or permit, the youth must be at least age 10, but not older than age 17. The youth can have a Class A bear license or other license or permit transferred to them only once. All applications for transfer of a license or permit must be made at least 15 days before the first day of the season the license or permit is valid for. The hunter who was originally awarded the Class A bear license would need to first purchase their license and send it in with the "Transfer license or permit to youth" form 9400-403Y. Once received, the license or permit will be transferred into the youth's name and mailed to them. If a resident transfers their license or permit to a non-resident youth, the person transferring the license or permit must pay any difference between the fee a resident must pay and the fee required for a nonresident.

Last revised: Friday August 31 2012