LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

Frequently Asked Questions
straight from our call center
About Chef Tim
and his recipes
Violation Hotline
help us!

Frequently Asked Questions

September 30, 2011

Here are answers to some of the recent most frequently asked law enforcement questions taken this week by the DNR Call Center.
The Call Center is staffed daily, 7 a.m. - 10 p.m., and offers bilingual service in Spanish and Hmong. The number is 1-888-936-7463.

Question 1: Can I harvest a white or an albino deer?

Answer: Albino and all-white deer are protected species and may not be harvested without prior written authorization from the DNR. The exception is albino and all-white deer may be harvested and possessed in the CWD Management Zone.

Question 2: Can I carry a handgun for protection during archery season? Can I carry it under my coat or outside of my coat? Also, is a holster considered concealing a weapon?

Answer: A person who is at least age 18 and not prohibited from possessing a firearm may possess a handgun while archery hunting. It may not be used to shoot a deer to be tagged with an archery tag. The handgun must not be concealed from view, such as under a coat unless you are legally authorized to carry a concealed weapon. As long as the holster which holds the handgun is not concealed from view, the handgun would not be considered concealed.

Question 3: Do I need to carry my firearm or bow in a case if I am walking along the road to my hunting site?

Answer: No. You can carry the firearm/bow without a case, as long as you are not actively hunting in the process and not within an area, such as a state park, where firearms must be unloaded and enclosed within a case and bows must be unstrung or enclosed within a case. Also, it is generally not legal to possess a loaded uncased firearm within 1,000 feet of school grounds on a public roadway.

Question 4: What are the new CWD (chronic wasting disease) Earn-A-Buck requirements for this year?

Answer: In the CWD-MZ (management zones), the Earn-A-Buck (EAB) requirements do not apply when using a person's one Gun Buck Deer Carcass Tag to tag a buck killed with a firearm during a gun deer season, or to a person's one Archery Buck Deer Carcass Tag to tag a deer that hunter killed with legal archery gear during the archery deer season. All other buck deer harvest in the CWD-MZ and tagged with any other tag must follow EAB rules.

Question 5: I understand that my first deer is exempt from the EAB requirement. But I'm confused as to which tag to use.

Answer: In order to harvest and tag a buck deer without earning that buck by first tagging an antlerless deer, you must use your one Gun Buck Deer Carcass Tag or the one Archery Buck Deer Carcass Tag for the first deer. These are the green tags which come with the green valeron license and backtag. If you wish to hold onto that tag to use outside the CWD Zone, then you must follow EAB regulations in the CWD units and can use the free CWD deer carcass tags which are available. The Gun Buck Deer Carcass Tag can only be used to tag a buck killed with a firearm, and the Archery Buck Deer Carcass Tag can only be used to tag a buck you have killed with archery gear.

Question 6: What should my child have to participate in the youth waterfowl hunt need?

Answer: Youth ages 10 - 15 can participate in the youth waterfowl hunt and will need to be HIP certified. If they intend to hunt for geese and not just ducks, they will need the appropriate goose hunting permit. They do not need a small game license to hunt waterfowl during these two days. State waterfowl and federal migratory bird stamps are not required for youth under age 16 during the youth hunt or regular hunting seasons.

Question 7: I have an archery antlerless tag. And on my license, it says "For List of Units" (See "Deer Management Unit May in Deer Regulations Book"). May I use this during the gun-deer season for a doe?

Answer: The Archery Antlerless tag is good for an antlerless deer in almost all units in the state except the Buck only units which are unit 3, 7, 29b, 34, 35, 39, 44 and 45. This information can be found on page 15 of the 2011 Deer hunting regulations pamphlet. This is a weapon specific tag so it can not be used to tag a deer killed with a firearm or to tag any deer killed by another.

Question 8: I just bought my bow tag. May I use it right away today since the season already has started?

Answer: All licenses, except a Class A bear hunting license, are usable immediately after purchase and with the opening of the appropriate season.  Licenses can be purchased during the open season and used the same day. The three-day waiting period for archery hunting licenses was eliminated in 2010.

Question 9: I have a son. He's 14. What age can he start hunting alone?

Answer: Beginning at age 14, a youth may hunt and possess legal shotguns and rifles with out being accompanied by an adult as long as they have completed a hunter safety course. However, during the two-day youth gun deer hunt on Oct 8 and 9, two-day youth waterfowl hunt and the two-day youth spring turkey hunt, a youth age 14 is required to be accompanied (within voice and visual contact) by a parent or guardian age 18 or older.

Last revised: Friday August 31 2012