LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

Frequently Asked Questions
straight from our call center
About Chef Tim
and his recipes
Violation Hotline
help us!

Frequently Asked Questions

September 16, 2011

Here are answers to some of the recent most frequently asked law enforcement questions taken this week by the DNR Call Center.
The Call Center is staffed daily, 7 a.m. - 10 p.m., and offers bilingual service in Spanish and Hmong. The number is 1-888-936-7463.

Question 1: If a 17-year-old purchases a deer license before he turns 18, he will receive the new antlerless tag that is good statewide. The question is: when he turns 18, which would be before the deer season, is he still eligible to use the youth antlerless tag?

Answer: Yes. All that matters is that he was eligible for the tag when it was purchased. Same as purchasing a junior gun deer license at the reduced price, and turning 18 before or during the season. Another example is when a resident purchases a license and then moves to another state and establishes residency there. The approval, if obtained legally, is valid until the expiration date on the approval, unless revoked by the department or a court for a violation of the fish and game laws.

Question 2: Are there age or residency requirements or restrictions to purchase a wild rice harvest license?

Answer: Answer: Every person older than the age of 16 and under the age of 65 shall obtain the appropriate wild rice license to harvest or to deal in wild rice. However, no license to harvest is required of the members of the immediate family of a licensee or of a recipient of old-age assistance or members of their immediate families. Wild rice harvest licenses may be issued only to residents. The department will issue a wild rice identification card to each member of a licensee's immediate family, to a recipient of old-age assistance and to each member of the recipient's family. The term "immediate family" includes husband and wife and minor children having their abode and domicile with the parent or legal guardian. No wild rice harvest license is required of helpers of a licensee who participate only in shore operations. No person may use or cause to be used any mechanical device of any nature in the harvesting or gathering of wild rice. A wild rice harvesting license costs $8.25.

The DNR does not control or regulate the harvest wild rice growing on privately owned beds of flowages or ponds. These would be the only locations that a non-resident may harvest wild rice in Wisconsin, as no license is required to harvest at these locations. Permission of the owner of the privately owned bed of a flowage or pond would be required before a person may harvest in these privately owned locations.

Question 3: What are the requirements for my children and me to go duck hunting?

Answer: You would need to purchase the following: small game license, state and federal waterfowl stamps, and your HIP certification. If your children are born on or after Jan. 1, 1973, they will need to take a hunter education course, or follow the hunting mentorship program rules. If the children are under the age of 16, they will not be required to purchase the state and federal waterfowl stamps (this is only require for ages 16 and up).

Question 4: Can you explain the new Earn-A-Buck rules for this hunting season?

Answer: New this year when hunting in the chronic waste disease (CWD) Earn-A-Buck areas, you are able to harvest a buck, with your gun buck carcass tag and archery buck carcass tag without shooting an antlerless deer first. This ruling only applies to these tags only. Any other tag used in the CWD areas will require you to follow Earn-A-Buck regulations.

Last revised: Friday August 31 2012