LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

Frequently Asked Questions
straight from our call center
About Chef Tim
and his recipes
Violation Hotline
help us!

Frequently Asked Questions

December 31, 2011

Here are answers to some of the recent most frequently asked law enforcement questions taken this week by the DNR Call Center.
The Call Center is staffed daily, 7 a.m. - 10 p.m., and offers bilingual service in Spanish and Hmong. The number is 1-888-936-7463.

Question 1: How does the CWD landowner hunt works? What license do I need to purchase and where may I hunt?

Answer: To hunt deer during the January 9 through March 31 CWD Landowner hunt, a person does not need to have a regular deer or archery deer license. A landowner must purchase a $2 CWD Landowner Permit which allows them to hunt on private lands they own in the CWD zone. To hunt on other private lands which a person does not own, a person must first purchase a $2 CWD Hunter Permit and have their permit signed by the owner of the land on which they have obtained permission to hunt. These permits may not be used to hunt deer on any DNR public hunting lands. Information about this hunting opportunity can be found on page 40 of the 2011 Deer Hunting Regulations pamphlet, as well as the separate CWD Management Zone Landowner Permit publication WM-453-2011. The following is a summary of some of the information provided in this publication.

CWD Management Zone Landowner Permit

  • Landowners owning 5 or more contiguous acres in the CWD-MZ may hunt with a landowner permit during the landowner season on their property.
  • Permits became available at any DNR license vendor on December 1, and will be valid beginning January 9, 2012 and will expire on March 31, 2012.
  • Hunters other than the landowner may also hunt on these properties with the purchase of the Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) hunter permit which is signed by the landowner who has first obtained a CWD landowner permit.
  • Both landowner and hunter permits can be purchased for $2 at any license sales location beginning Dec. 1, 2011.
  • All deer harvested under these permits must be tagged with a CWD deer carcass tag and registered at a DNR-authorized deer registration station in the CWD zone.
  • Rifles legal for hunting deer may be used by landowners and participants that have been authorized by the landowner.
  • The CWD Landowner or SCD Hunter back tag must be displayed while hunting deer under this permit.
  • Blaze orange clothing requirements for hunting deer apply to both firearm and archery deer hunters hunting deer under these CWD permits.
  • Hunters hunting other species of wild game are not required to wear blaze orange during the period from January 9 through March 31, as this is not considered a deer hunting season.
  • Group hunting rules apply (see page 23 of the 2011 Wisconsin Deer Hunting Regulations).
  • All hunters must meet the normal hunter safety and hunting age requirements obtain a CWD Landowner or Hunter permit and participate in this hunt.
  • Mentored hunters at least 10 years old may participate as authorized by ss. 29.592.
  • Normal shooting hours apply and are listed in the 2011 Wisconsin Deer Hunting Regulations (pages 52 - 53).
  • Deer of either sex may be harvested during this period. Earn-a-buck regulations are not in effect. Buck stickers will be issued for each antlerless deer registered during this period.
  • Albino and white deer may be harvested and possessed in the CWD-MZ under the authority of a CWD-MZ Landowner Permit.

Question 2: When does late bow season close?

Answer: Late archery deer season closes on January 8 for any CWD, Regular or Herd Control Units. It is different in the Metro DMUs where it will close on January 31.

Question 3: Is the regular deer license valid for the holiday hunt in CWD?

Answer: Yes, if you have purchased a gun or archery license for any of the 2011 hunting seasons. This license is valid to use for the hunt in the CWD area under way through January 8. The carcass tags on the license are still valid as well as the free CWD management area carcass tags. And, this year, they are red and white.

Last revised: Friday August 31 2012