LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

Frequently Asked Questions
straight from our call center
About Chef Tim
and his recipes
Violation Hotline
help us!

Frequently Asked Questions

November 2, 2011

Here are answers to some of the recent most frequently asked law enforcement questions taken this week by the DNR Call Center.
The Call Center is staffed daily, 7 a.m. - 10 p.m., and offers bilingual service in Spanish and Hmong. The number is 1-888-936-7463.

Question 1: Can I use electronic decoys for waterfowl hunting?

Answer: Yes. However, the decoy can not produce any electronic bird call or recordings.

Question 2: Can you hunt squirrels with a .22 on a waterfowl production area?

Answer: Yes. The rule that only non-toxic shot may be possessed for hunting game on Waterfowl production areas does not apply to hunting small game animals and deer with rifles or shotguns loaded with a single projectiles (slugs).

Question 3: My 10-year-old daughter wants to do the mentor archery hunt, but she cannot pull back a bow with the minimum 30 pounds, can she get a crossbow license?

Answer: It depends. A crossbow can only be used for hunting by a person who has a permit to use a crossbow or who is age 65 or older. To qualify for a permit to use a crossbow, a person must have a permanent physical disability and must submit test results which show the person meets certain criteria. Lack of strength alone does not make one eligible for a crossbow permit.

Last revised: Friday August 31 2012