LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

Frequently Asked Questions
straight from our call center
About Chef Tim
and his recipes
Violation Hotline
help us!

Frequently Asked Questions

October 14, 2011

Here are answers to some of the recent most frequently asked law enforcement questions taken this week by the DNR Call Center.
The Call Center is staffed daily, 7 a.m. - 10 p.m., and offers bilingual service in Spanish and Hmong. The number is 1-888-936-7463.

Question 1: How do I get a customer number for my child?

Answer: Call our customer service line at 1-888-936-7463, and we can set up the record.

Question 2: Where is the archery antlerless tag -- "For a list of Units see regulations" -- valid?

Answer: The archery Antlerless tag is valid in all units statewide except the 7 darkest gray shaded units (3, 7, 29B, 34, 35, 39, 44 and 45) shown on the map on page 28-29 of the 2011 Deer Hunting Regulations. These are the buck-only units labeled on the deer management map.

Question 3: Can I still archery hunt when there is a gun hunt going on?

Answer: If the archery deer season is open and a gun hunt is going on, then yes, you can continue archery hunting. You would need to meet the blaze orange hunting requirements. Blaze orange clothing is required for all hunters (archery, gun deer and small game other than waterfowl) hunting in a unit where a gun deer hunt is occurring. The archery deer season is open this year during the November 9-day gun season, so the blaze orange rule applies then as well. The archery deer season does, however, close for one day on Friday, November 18. It reopens on Saturday, November 19 with the 9-day gun deer season.

Question 4: Do I need to buy a separate license for my 10- or 11-year-old youth hunter or do they hunt off mine?

Answer: Yes, each youth hunter must have their own license. The mentored license for both residents and non-residents (10 and 11 year olds) is $7 for gun deer. The license cost for those ages 12 to 15 is $20 for resident gun deer. Or, they could potentially buy a junior sports or patron. The costs of these are: sports - $35 resident and $36 non-resident; and, patron - $75 resident and $77 non-resident.

Question 5: During the hunting season, may I mentor more than one kid?

Answer: No. If you are taking advantage of the mentor program, you can mentor only one child at a time. This applies during any hunting season, including the special youth hunts. However, you may act as a mentor as many times at you wish. There can only be one weapon between you and the mentored child and you must be within arms reach of the child at all times.

Question 6: Do I have to wear blaze orange if I'm bow hunting this weekend during the 2-day youth gun deer hunt?

Answer: Yes, all hunters except waterfowl hunters are required to wear blaze orange whenever there is a deer firearm season occurring.

Question 7: What kind of licenses do I need to duck hunt?

Answer: Each hunter who is age 16 or older is required to have a small game (or sports/patron) license as well as complete the HIP survey, state waterfowl stamp, federal waterfowl stamp and potentially an exterior or Horicon goose card if they want to duck/goose hunt. Except for the 2-day youth waterfowl hunt, youth ages 10-15 are exempt from the need for a state or federal waterfowl stamp, but are required to have a small game license, be HIP certified and possess a current valid goose hunting permit (if hunting geese). During the 2-day youth waterfowl hunt open for 10-15 year olds, licenses and stamps are not required, but HIP certification and goose permits are required (if hunting geese).

Last revised: Friday August 31 2012