LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

Frequently Asked Questions
straight from our call center
About Chef Tim
and his recipes
Violation Hotline
help us!

Frequently Asked Questions

October 3, 2011

Here are answers to some of the recent most frequently asked law enforcement questions taken this week by the DNR Call Center.
The Call Center is staffed daily, 7 a.m. - 10 p.m., and offers bilingual service in Spanish and Hmong. The number is 1-888-936-7463.

Question 1: When can I place my decoys for waterfowl hunting?

Answer: It is illegal to hunt with decoys which are placed in the water prior to one hour before the opening of waterfowl hunting times. They may not be left in the water more than 20 minutes after the close of waterfowl hunting time. Decoys may not be placed beyond 200 feet from the blind or cover in which the hunter is located, and may not be left in the water unattended.

Question 2: When can I start placing bait for deer?

Answer: No person may place, use, or hunt over bait or feed for hunting purposes during the closed season for hunting deer, but may start to place bait for deer hunting purposes beginning on the day before the opening day of the first deer hunting season, which is archery season. This means the 24-hour period from 12 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. on the day immediately before the season. It is legal to place bait for deer for gun-deer hunting purposes at any time during the archery deer season, even if the hunter's intention is only to use or hunt over the bait during the gun deer season.

Question 3: What are the opening and closing time for duck season?

Answer: The open and close times for duck season are in the back of the waterfowl regulations depending on what area of the state you are hunting. You need to check your area (north, south) and the time zone you are in and add the additional required minutes accordingly. The map for time zones are on page 29 in the migratory game bird regulations. Unlike hunting other species of small game, waterfowl hunting hours close at sunset each day and not 20 minutes after sunset. If you use the hunting hours table in the small game and turkey hunting regulations pamphlet, you must subtract 20 minutes to determine the legal closing hours for waterfowl hunting. Note: Spring turkey and migratory game bird hunters need to subtract 20 minutes from evening times.

Question 4: Where can I find available hunter education classes?

Answer: You can find hunter education classes on our website. Hunter education courses are getting fewer as we get closer to the hunting seasons. If you search for the type of class and leave the county area blank, your search will run statewide which is helpful in locating classes in adjoining counties.

Question 5: I am in Marinette County and I am a gun deer hunter. What day can I start placing bait?

Answer: A person may start to place bait for deer hunting the day (24-hour period) before the opening day of the first deer hunting season, which is archery season. Since archery season opened on Saturday, September 17, bait can be place bait for deer anytim beginning on Friday, September 16 through the last day of the late archery deer season.

Question 6: Can I still bow hunt during the two-day youth hunt?

Answer: Yes. Bow hunting only closes outside the CWD zone on November 18 (24 hours prior to the 9-day gun deer season) and at the end of season in January. However, anyone that wishes to bow hunt on October 8 and 9 must wear blaze orange because there is a firearm season open for deer hunting statewide.

Question 7: I graduated from my hunter ed class last night, but I don't have my card yet. How do I buy my hunting license?

Answer: If you've recently completed a hunter education safety course you were required to fill out a student safety course registration form with your WI DNR Customer ID Number. When you were certified in the course, the instructor provided you with the second copy of that form which is your Student Hunter Safety Temporary Certificate. You need to show the license vendor this temporary certificate you when you purchase your archery or gun deer hunting license. This also serves as your small game license until you receive your official Hunter Safety Education Certificate Card by mail.

Last revised: Friday August 31 2012