LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

Frequently Asked Questions
straight from our call center
About Chef Tim
and his recipes
Violation Hotline
help us!

Frequently Asked Questions

June 11, 2012

Here are answers to some of the recent most frequently asked law enforcement questions taken this week by the DNR Call Center.
The Call Center is staffed daily, 7 a.m. - 10 p.m., and offers bilingual service in Spanish and Hmong. The number is 1-888-936-7463.

Question 1: If I just ride my ATV (all-terrain vehicle) on my own land, do I need the license plate?

Answer: No. When an ATV is only used by the owner or a member of his or her immediate family on lands owned or leased by the owner or by a member of his or her immediate family, a registration plate does not need to be displayed. However, the ATV must still be registered and the registration decals must be affixed on both sides of the ATV in a position forward of the operator that is clearly visible. The registration plate is only required when using the ATV at a location where public use registration is required. This would include locations such as on a public ATV route or Trail, on lands the owner of the ATV or a member of his or her immediate family does not own, or on the frozen surface of a lake.

Question 2: If I bought my UTV (utility-terrain vehicle) 5 years ago and only use it on my private property, do I need to register it now?

Answer: Yes, all UTVs are now required to be registered either for private use or for public use. Any UTV that you or your immediate family members own which are used exclusively on lands you own or lease can be registered for private use only, or if you will also use it on public trails, frozen lakes or lands you or your immediate family does not own or lease, you may also register it for public use. Any UTV that is operated where public use registration is required must display a registration plate on the rear of the UTV in addition to the registration decals.

Question 3: I logged into my name online to renew my recreational vehicles. Nothing was listed? Why? I have owned these machines for multiple years.

Answer: Most likely you have more than one customer account generated by a name change, an address change, etc. Please call into our call center open 7 a.m. -10 p.m. everyday and we can correct this for you. Please do not click on "Register a vehicle I currently do not own" as this will transfer the boat into your name and request further information.

Question 4: I have a nuisance bear on my property, who do I contact?

Answer: Nuisance bear, bird, and wolf complaints are addressed through the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Wildlife Services of Wisconsin You can contact them at 1-800-339-1368 or 1-800-433-0663 depending on what county you are in.

Last revised: Friday August 31 2012