LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

Frequently Asked Questions
straight from our call center
About Chef Tim
and his recipes
Violation Hotline
help us!

Frequently Asked Questions

May 2, 2012

Here are answers to some of the recent most frequently asked law enforcement questions taken this week by the DNR Call Center.
The Call Center is staffed daily, 7 a.m. - 10 p.m., and offers bilingual service in Spanish and Hmong. The number is 1-888-936-7463.

Question 1: What do I need to register a boat?

Answer: Boats that do not use a motor, or which are sailboats 12 feet or less in length do not need to be registered. Boats that have previous Wisconsin registration (WS registration numbers) and are 16 feet and longer, require a title. The title must be signed by all owners listed on the title and any liens recorded must be satisfied on the title or have a lien release attached. Boats under 16 feet are only registered so if the previous owner has their registration card, they can sign that, or they can write you up a bill of sale.

Question 2: Do I need a fishing license to take smelt by hook and line?

Answer: Yes, you need a fishing license if you are age 16 or older and are taking any species of fish by hand, by hook and line, or by the method of spear fish where spearing is allowed. Wisconsin residents do not need a fishing license to take smelt or other rough fish, or to take minnows with nets, traps and seines of legal size.

Question 3: My child is taking a hunter safety course. The instructor said I need to get a customer ID number. How do I get a customer ID?

Answer: A customer ID number can be assigned easily over the phone by calling 1-888-936-7463 or at any license sale location right through the ALIS terminals. The information that will be asked is first and last name, date of birth, address, social security number and a basic physical appearance (height, weight, hair and eye color).

Question 4: I live near the Vernon Wildlife area. With this warm weather, I'd like to go there and take my dog on a walk. Does he need to be on a leash?

Answer: A leash is not required for dogs on a state wildlife area unless you are visiting a state wildlife area from April 15th through July 31st when dogs are required to be on a leash no longer than 8 feet.

Question 5: I am trying to purchase my applications for (BOBCAT, FALL TURKEY 2012, SPRING TURKEY 2013) and I am told that they are not available yet. When can I buy them?

Answer: June 1 is estimated date that these applications will be available at all license sales locations.

Question 6: When does game fish open?

Answer: The general fishing season opener is the first Saturday in May (May 5 this year) for most areas. However, on some waters of the state, the fishing season is open all year for most species except for musky, trout, lake sturgeon, paddlefish and threatened or endangered species. To see if the water you will be fishing has an continuous open season, you should check out the special regulations by county section of the Fishing Regulations pamphlet. Go to page 23.

Last revised: Friday August 31 2012