LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

Frequently Asked Questions
straight from our call center
About Chef Tim
and his recipes
Violation Hotline
help us!

Frequently Asked Questions

January 24, 2012

Here are answers to some of the recent most frequently asked law enforcement questions taken this week by the DNR Call Center.
The Call Center is staffed daily, 7 a.m. - 10 p.m., and offers bilingual service in Spanish and Hmong. The number is 1-888-936-7463.

Question 1: Is it legal for a group of hunters to donate some venison to our local Boy Scout troop for their fundraiser event?

Answer: Yes, the Boy Scout troop would be required to keep a record of who is donating the meat, the approximate amount of the donated meat -- and then complete form 9400-175. This form is the Wild Game Serving Application and Permit, which would be submitted to the warden supervisor for the county where the wild game feed will occur.

Question 2: Are you required to take an all-terrain vehicle safety course to drive a utility vehicle?

Answer: Only if you were born on or after Jan. 1, 1988, and are driving the UTV on a public ATV route or trail designated open to UTVs by the DNR or a federal, county, or municipality agency with jurisdiction over the route or trail. In addition, the minimum age to operate a UTV on a public ATV route or trail designated open to UTVs is 16 years of age.

Question 3: Can a person who is not a landowner buy the license for the landowner whose property will be used for hunting? I've been asked this because the landowner is not a hunter and the person wishing to hunt doesn't want to inconvenience that person to buy the license.

Answer: An adult must purchase their own licenses and permits. Therefore, the landowner has to be the one purchasing the CWD Landowner Permit. The landowner must also meet the requirements to legally buy a hunting license, including hunter education if born on or after Jan. 1, 1973. Those born before Jan. 1, 1973 and without a DNR customer I.D. number will need to provide their Social Security number to buy the permit.

If the landowner was born on or after Jan. 1, 1973 and does not have a Hunter Safety Certificate, or is unwilling to give their SS# (if born before 1973), then the landowner and hunter may wish to explore "Plan B" which is answered in question below.

Question 4: If someone is a landowner and purchases his CWD landowner permit & back tag and would also like to take his 10-year-old child out hunting with them, what license would the child need? In the case of the child, this child went deer hunting during the fall deer season. Would the child's license & back tag from the fall deer hunt be enough or would the child need the $2 CWD Hunter permit & back tag and the CWD Hunter permission slip from the landowner (parent)?

Answer: The child would need to purchase a $2 CWD Hunter Permit & back tag. Mentored Hunting regulations would still apply. The regular gun and archery deer licenses and back tags do not authorize hunting deer during the CWD landowner hunt.

Question 5: If someone is a landowner but also leases land that adjoins their property, are they able to hunt both properties using their CWD landowner permit & back tag? Or, must they also have a CWD hunter permit & back tag?

Answer: There are 2 options. In this situation, "John Doe" is a land owner who leases his neighbor's property (Joe Smith's). In order for John Doe to hunt Joe Smith's property:

  1. John would need a Hunter Permit and Joe Smith would need a Landowner Permit; or,
  2. Joe Smith can sign a form authorizing John Doe to act as the landowner for the leased (Smith) property, giving John Doe authority to sign other hunters' Hunter Permits to hunt the Smith property.

Option 2 is most convenient when the landowner (Joe Smith) is an absentee owner. John Doe would then be able to hunt his own property and the adjoining Smith property under his own Landowner Permit. The Landowner and/or Hunter should go to a DNR Service Center to get more info on this process.

Question 6: Does a non-resident also get the opportunity to hunt under the $2 CWD Hunter permit & back tag (with landowner permission)? Also if the non-resident owns land, can he/she buy the $2 CWD Landowner permit & back tag permit as a landowner?

Answer: Yes to both questions.

Last revised: Friday August 31 2012