LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

why your woods matter.
professional help.
about incentives to help manage your woods.
Contact information
Use the Forestry Assistance Locator to find cooperating foresters, DNR service foresters or tax law forestry specialists for your county.
View the current Directory of Foresters [PDF].

Managed Forest Law (MFL)Change of ownership questions

Are there rules for transferring MFL land?

An owner may sell or otherwise transfer ownership of all or part of a parcel of their managed forest land. If the purchased land does not meet the program requirements it will need to be withdrawn from the program and a withdrawal tax and fee may be assessed.

Lands remaining after a land sale must also meet all program requirements or will need to be withdrawn from the program and a withdrawal tax and fee may be assessed.

Because it is much easier to rectify a potential withdrawal situation prior to a land sale, we encourage you contact your local DNR tax law forestry specialist prior to purchasing or selling land enrolled in MFL.

What obligations will I be subject to if land in the MFL program is transferred to me?

A list of some of the primary obligations follows, but keep in mind that this list is not inclusive.

  • Follow your MFL management plan
  • Pay MFL tax rates on the land
  • On open land, permit public access for hunting, fishing, cross-country skiing, sight-seeing and hiking
  • Submit a cutting notice before harvesting and a cutting report after harvesting
  • Permit field inspections
  • Choose whether or not to enroll in the MFL Certified Group. A fact sheet [PDF] describes the benefits and responsibilities for group members
What is the cost to file the transfer form?

A fee of $100 per transfer must accompany the form.

What do I need to submit with my transfer form?
  • Transfer fee
  • A copy of the recorded proof of ownership (e.g. deed)
  • Parcel identification number documentation (e.g. tax bill)
How do I obtain a copy of my deed?

If you do not have a copy of your recorded deed in your files, you can contact the county Register of Deeds office.

Who can assist in filling out the forms?

Your local DNR tax law forestry specialist can assist and answer questions regarding the transfer of MFL land.

Can I change the public access status (i.e. open/closed) of the land?

Yes, the new owner may change the existing open or closed area(s) at the time of transfer. The owner may also change the status twice during the remainder of the order period by filing a public access modification request [PDF].

How long will the land be in the MFL program?

At the time of enrollment, the land was entered for a 25-year or 50-year period. The new owner must complete the remainder of this period.

As a new owner, how do I obtain a copy of the existing MFL management plan?

Contact a DNR tax law administration specialist [PDF].

What are the current MFL tax rates?

Current MFL tax rates

Can I have buildings on MFL land?

The rules for buildings on MFL lands depend on the year the land was entered into the program.

If the land was entered into the program in 2016 or earlier, buildings that are developed as a residence or include landscaping are not permitted on MFL land. Buildings permitted on MFL land will still be taxed as personal property.

For land entered into the program in 2017 or later, buildings and improvements associated with buildings are not permitted on MFL land.

If I wish to withdraw the land from the MFL program, what form do I file?

More information about withdrawing from the MFL program.

Last revised: Wednesday August 23 2017