LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

Got license?
Give yourself the license to relax and catch some memories while you're at it.
Know the regulations to make your fishing more enjoyable.
Places to fish
Wisconsin offers a variety of fishing opportunities. Give them a try!
Get started
Get the basic information you need to get on the water and try your luck.
Contact information
For information, contact:
Fisheries Management

Fish farming in WisconsinFish importation

Wisconsin-native species of fish and fish eggs imported from a fish farm outside the state to a registered fish farm in Wisconsin do not require an import permit from the Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection (DATCP). However, the shipment must be accompanied by a valid fish health certificate and a copy of the certificate must be submitted to DATCP.

All non-native fish and fish eggs imported into Wisconsin for the purpose of introduction into the waters of the state, for use as bait, or for rearing in a fish farm require a permit from the DNR. The shipment also must be accompanied by a valid fish health certificate and a copy of the certificate must be submitted to DATCP.

The Non-native Fish Importation application and general permit [PDF] is required to import fish or fish eggs of a species that is not native to this state for the purpose of rearing in a fish farm under s. 29.735, Wisconsin Statutes. This general permit only allows the import of fish species defined by s. NR 40.02 (30), Wis. Adm. Code, as “non-native fish species in the aquaculture industry,” which are arctic char, Atlantic salmon, brown trout, chinook salmon, coho salmon, rainbow trout, pink salmon, redear sunfish, tiger trout, and tilapia. There is no fee for the general permit. You must request an individual permit if you intend to import a species of fish not listed here or for purposes other than rearing in a fish farm.

Additional information:

Note: The information provided on this web page is for general orientation purposes only. Do not rely solely on the information provided on these Web pages. For more information, please contact your local DNR Fish Farm Environmental Permits Coordinator.

Last revised: Thursday April 02 2015