LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

ways to reduce wildlife-human conflict and avoid wildlife damage.
Wisconsin's rare plants, animals and natural communities.
tips to manage your land for wildlife.
about wildlife health and rehabilitation.
Contact information
For information about how to deal with wildlife causing crop damage, contact:
Brad Koele
Wildlife Damage Biologist
Bureau of Wildlife Management
715-356-5211 ext. 234

Damage permit hunting regulations

The Wildlife Damage and Abatement Claims Program (WDACP) provides two types of hunting opportunities: hunting access during the open season and the agricultural damage shooting permit program.

Contact the farmer to ask permission to hunt on his/her land. Hunting on lands not enrolled in the program, without permission of the landowner, is trespassing. Farmers enrolled in the WDACP and/or possessing deer damage shooting permits cannot charge any fees for hunting, hunting access or any other activity that includes hunting the species causing damage. In all cases, the hunter is responsible for limiting their hunting only to properties enrolled in the program.

Please be courteous to farmers! Call ahead to plan your hunt, and please refrain from calling them after 8 pm.

Hunting during the open season (using your own carcass tag) Participating in a damage hunt (using the farmer's damage carcass tag)
  • If the farmer has chosen Open Access, notify the farmer of your plans to hunt.
  • If the farmer has chosen Managed Access, ask permission to hunt on the farmer's land. The farmer may limit hunters to a presence of two hunters/40 acres of huntable land. The farmer may not deny permission to hunt unless there is already a presence of two hunters/40 acres of huntable land on his/her property at that exact time.
  • If you are hunting on Managed Access lands, you must sign the farmer's log book.
  • Contact farmer to ask if he/she would like your assistance in filling his/her damage carcass tags.
  • Meet with the farmer to get his/her written approval to participate in the damage hunt. All hunters participating in damage hunts must possess this written authorization and agree to comply with all restrictions printed on the form and the farmer's or landowner's permit.
  • All hunters participating in damage hunts must possess both the appropriate valid hunting license, and the relevant damage back tag, at all times while hunting. Blaze orange is required whether hunting with a firearm or bow.
  • If you are participating in a damage hunt, you must sign the farmer's log book.
  • Shooting hours for damage hunts are 30 min. before sunrise to 20 min. after sunset during the closed deer gun season. During the open deer gun season, gun season hunting hours apply. Unless otherwise written on the farmer's permit, only antlerless deer may be shot, and deer must be shot with a gun. Determine hunting hours.

Remember for all damage permit hunting

  • parking is restricted to designated areas
  • vehicular access is prohibited
  • use of existing hunting stands or blinds is prohibited unless authorized by the enrollee
  • hunting is only allowed for the species causing damage

Access problems

Farmers may deny access for reasonable cause to individuals who exhibit intoxication, vandalism, littering, reckless conduct, or property damage, or who do not comply with the 11 listed requirements on the Log Book agreement form. Reasonable cause may not be based on age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, creed, sexual orientation or national origin.

If a hunter is refused access and feels that the farmer was not in compliance with the hunting requirement, or the farmer has charged some type of hunting fee for the species causing damage, please file a complaint with the USDA-Wildlife Services. Complaints should be in writing and contain the name of the farmer, the date and time of the alleged violation, any circumstances relevant to the alleged violation, the name, telephone and address of the hunter, and the hunter’s signature. The county damage specialist or WDNR will investigate these complaints.

Complaints should be filed within 10 days of the denial.

Last revised: Wednesday December 07 2016