LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.


FAQs: Special Edition-2017 Gun-Deer Season, Chapter 1

Warden Wire Section: Outdoor Recreation published on November 8, 2017

By: DNR Bureaus of Law Enforcement and Wildlife Management

November 8, 2017

Welcome to the first chapter of Warden Wire's feature FAQs: Special Edition - 2017 Gun-Deer Season. These special edition FAQs were taken by the DNR Call Center, the Department of Natural Resources' conservation wardens and the Bureau of Wildlife Management. Today's topics include tagging deer and harvest registration. The Call Center is staffed daily, 7 a.m. - 10 p.m., and offers bilingual service in Spanish and Hmong. The DNR Call Center staff is happy to help you with any and all of your questions. The number is 1-888-936-7463.

Question 1: What has changed with deer tag requirements?

Answer: Deer tag rules no longer require the hunter to: validate the tag in any way to indicate that it has been used, attach a tag to the deer, or keep a copy of the tag with the meat until consumed.

Question 2: Do I, as a hunter, still have to carry proof of a tag while hunting?

Answer:  Yes. Requirements to carry proof of deer license and tags while afield have not changed. Acceptable forms of proof include: an original or reprinted paper tag, a Go Wild conservation card, a Go Wild-authenticated Wisconsin driver’s license, or a Go Wild digital PDF file displayed on a mobile device. Hunters will need to know the tag number to begin the registration process, which will not be visible if you opt to carry your authenticated Wisconsin driver’s license or a Conservation Card. You can obtain the tag number from the paper tag, the Go Wild PDF file or from the MyGameReg section of your Go Wild account at GoWild.WI.Gov.

Question 3: "What is the requirement for possessing and transporting someone else’s deer?

Answer: There is no longer a requirement to attach a carcass tag, even when leaving an animal with another person. When possessing the deer of others, such as the last person at a deer camp who will be bringing home several deer for others, having a printed copy of the carcass tag/confirmation number corresponding to each animal will assist wardens with ensuring compliance with the bag and possession limit regulations.

Question 4: Since tagging is no longer required, what should I do if I have to leave my deer in the field while I get my truck?

Answer:No special action is required. As long as the deer is harvested under one of your unused deer tags, you can leave the carcass in the field without attaching a tag or registering the deer.

Question 5: How do the new deer tag rules apply to group hunting?

Answer: No changes have been made to group hunting rules. At least one member of the hunting party must have proof of an unfilled deer tag in the area where the hunt is taking place, and be willing to use that tag number to register a deer bagged by another member of the group.

Question 6: Is registration still required?

Answer: Yes. Registration is not an option! You must register your deer by 5 p.m. the day after harvest. Register online at, by phone at 1-844-426-3734 or at a participating in-person station (find a list at, search “registration stations”). You will need the unique tag number to begin the registration process. Tag numbers are available on the paper tag, Go Wild PDF or in the MyGameReg section of your Go Wild account at GoWild.WI.Gov.

Question 7: How can I find my tag number in order to register my deer?

Answer: Your tag number is easily visible on your deer tag. You can also find a list of your current tags and tag numbers in the My GameReg section of your Go Wild account at GoWild.WI.Gov.

Question 8: What should I do if I don’t have my tag number when registering it?

Answer: Even though a hunter may provide one of the authorized forms of proof for their hunting license and tags, a hunter is still required to meet their registration requirements and have their unique tag number available to complete the registration process. You may document your unique tag number in any method you choose as long as you are able to identify which unique tag number corresponds to each tag. For example, you may only use your buck tag number to register a buck. If you do not have access to a computer or mobile device to look up your tag number, you are encouraged to carry a printed copy of your tag. You can look up your tag number in the My GameReg section of your Go Wild account.

Question 9: Are car-killed deer now exempt from keeping the registration confirmation number with the meat until consumed?

Answer: No. Because tags that authorize possession of the carcass/meat are not issued for car-killed deer, individuals who take possession of a car-killed deer will be required to keep the registration confirmation number with the meat until it is consumed.

Question 10: Can I use alternate forms of proof (Conservation Card, driver’s license, electronic file) for agricultural damage tags, Learn to Hunt tags and DMAP tags?

Answer: No. A hard copy is required. These are special tags associated with specific programs and are not necessarily issued through the hunter’s Go Wild account. You may also be required to write in your customer number and birth date to use these types of tags prior to use. You are not required to validate or attach these special tags, but registration of harvests through GameReg is still required.

Question 11: Where can I find more information on these tagging and harvest?

Answer: Visit and search “hunting regulations” or “deer.”

If you have information regarding natural resource violations, you may confidentially report by calling or texting: VIOLATION HOTLINE: 1-800-TIP-WDNR or 1-800-847-9367. The hotline is in operation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Trained staff relay report information to conservation wardens.

Last Revised: Wednesday, November 08, 2017

Warden Wire