LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.


FAQs: Special Edition (#3) - Fall Hunt (peanut butter bait, crossbow, archer, bear, coyote)

Warden Wire Section: Outdoor Recreation published on October 22, 2013

By: Bureau of Law Enforcement

October 22, 2013

Welcome to the return of a Warden Wire feature launched during last year's gun-deer season -- the special edition series of Frequently Asked Questions dealing specifically with hunting. The FAQs: Special Edition - Fall Hunt is a periodic feature. Today is the third installment of these special edition FAQs taken by the DNR Call Center and the Department of Natural Resources' conservation wardens. The Call Center is staffed daily, 7 a.m. - 10 p.m., and offers bilingual service in Spanish and Hmong. The Call Center staff is happy to help you with any and all of your questions. The number is 1-888-936-7463.

Question 1: Can I use peanut butter as a scent? I live in a county that does not allow baiting. If I put the peanut butter in a container and hang it in a way so it cannot be eaten by the animals, would it be legal to use the peanut butter as a scent? Or, is it considered bait?

Answer: Actually, materials used as scents to attract wild animals are considered bait -- but they are a type of bait which is allowed statewide with some restrictions. As long as the peanut butter is not accessible by the deer and elk, it would qualify as a legal scent material. In areas where baiting deer is generally not allowed, scents are still legal provided any amount of scent material more than 2 ounces must be removed daily at the end of hunting hours. Two ounces or less of scent may be placed, used or deposited in any manner for hunting game and does not need to be removed daily at the end of hunting hours.

Question 2: Can you transport a cocked crossbow (without a bolt in it) in a vehicle uncased if you have a concealed carry permit? If not, what constitutes a case?

Answer: The concealed carry legislation only applies to handguns. A crossbow, if left in a cocked position, must also be unloaded and encased before it may be placed in or on a motorized vehicle. Before it is placed, possessed or transported in or on any motorized vehicle, the arrow/bolt must be removed from the crossbow and the crossbow may not be cocked, or if left cocked, the crossbow must be enclosed within a carrying case. So, you may only transport a cocked crossbow in a vehicle if it is cased and has the arrow/bolt removed. A case would constitute a covering that encloses the weapon completely. We have some FAQs on our website that specifically address this question, and they will probably answer most questions you have regarding these laws. Here are the links:



Question 3: I purchased a bear application a few months ago and I put in for a preference point, but now I would like to instead change my application for a kill tag (Class A bear license) for the 2014 bear season. Is there still time to change it? Do I have to pay to change my application?

Answer: It is free to change your bear application. A person can change their application as many times as they want before the December 10 deadline. A person can change their application by calling customer service at 1-888-936-7463 or by using the online license center. Here is that link:

Question 4: If I buy my archer hunting license today, do I have to wait three days to use it?

Answer: There is no longer a 3-day waiting period. You may use the license as soon as you have purchased it, provided the season is open for the species you intend to hunt.

Question 5: Is the northern zone closed to coyote season during the 9-day gun-deer season?

Answer: The coyote season is no longer closed during the 9-day gun-deer season. A license that authorizes hunting small game is required for residents to shoot a coyote, and a non-resident fur-bearing animal hunting license is required for a non-resident to shoot a coyote. A gun-deer license does not authorize hunting of coyote.

If you missed the first two rounds of Special Edition FAQs, here are the Warden Wire links:



If you have information regarding natural resource violations, please call: VIOLATION HOTLINE: 1-800-TIP-WDNR or 1-800-847-9367. The hotline is in operation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Trained staff relay reported information to conservation wardens. Anyone who calls the Violation Hotline or provides information can remain anonymous.

Last Revised: Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Warden Wire