LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.


FAQs: Deer carcass tags, permits, lead shot & youth hunt

Warden Wire Section: Wardens in Action published on October 1, 2012

By: Bureau of Law Enforcement

Frequently Asked Questions

October 1, 2012

Here are answers to some of the recent most frequently asked law enforcement questions taken by the DNR Call Center. The Call Center is staffed daily, 7 a.m. - 10 p.m., and offers bilingual service in Spanish and Hmong. The number is 1-888-936-7463.

Question 1: I have archery deer carcass tags. What units can I use?

Answer: The Archery Antlerless tag is valid in all units except buck only units: 7, 29B, 34, 35, 36 and 39, unless you hold a valid Class A or C disabled hunting permit in which case you may also use your Archery Antlerless Deer Carcass tag in buck only units also. The Archery Buck tag is valid in all units statewide. The Antlerless Herd Control tag is valid in all herd control and CWD units.

Question 2: Do I need to harvest an antlerless deer before I can harvest a buck in the CWD units this year?

Answer: The archery buck tag and the gun buck tag are valid in any unit statewide without the need to first tag an antlerless deer, including the CWD management zone. Once you fill your archery buck or gun buck tags, or if you choose to save those tags for units outside of the CWD management zone, you must earn any bucks that will be tagged with the free CWD Deer Carcass Tags by first tagging an antlerless deer in the CWD MZ. You will earn a bonus buck sticker for each antlerless deer that you harvest in a CWD unit.

Question 3: My child is 13 years old and passed hunter education, can my child hunt in a tree stand by himself with his own bow and arrow since it is not a firearm?

Answer: Yes, provided the child is still being supervised by an adult who is within both visual AND voice contact with the child at all times. (See page 15 of the Deer Hunting Regulations for more information on the definition of Adult Supervision, these rules apply to archery hunting as well as firearm hunting).

Question 4: Does my child, age 12, need any stamps or a small game license to go waterfowl and/or goose hunting?

Answer: Children under the age of 16 do not need to possess a Wisconsin Waterfowl nor Federal Migratory Bird Stamp. However a small game license and HIP certification is required if waterfowl and/or goose hunting. In addition to these requirements, if goose hunting the hunter must also purchase a Horicon, Exterior, or Early goose permit. The stamp requirement is located in the Migratory Bird Regulations on page 5 and the first time hunter education graduate privileges are on page 26 of the Small Game Regulations.

Note: First-time resident hunter education graduates (age 10 and older) are entitled to a free small game license. The hunter education certificate must be on the hunter while they are hunting if it is acting as a small game license. Certificates issued after January 1, 2012 are valid small game licenses until March 31, 2013.

Question 5: I have a Class “A” disability permit. Can I take an antlerless deer in unit that is designated as “Buck only?” Which tag do I use?

Answer: With Class “A” or “C” disability permit you can fill your regular Gun Buck Deer Carcass tag with an antlerless deer or buck during any gun deer season (except for the 2-day youth hunt unless you are age 10-15 and eligible to hunt during the 2-day youth gun deer hunt), or with a Buck during the December 4 day “antlerless only” deer hunt. You can also fill your one archery Antlerless Deer Carcass tag with an antlerless deer in any unit statewide – including the 6 regular DMU “Buck only” units. See page 15 of the Deer Regulations under Disabled Hunters /files/PDF/pubs/wm/WM0431.pdf

Question 6: Where can I use lead shot for doves? I just want to go hunting.

Answer: On DNR managed lands, steel shot or other non-toxic shot must be used for dove hunting (see page 11 of the Migratory Bird Regulations for a listing of non-toxic shot) /files/pdf/pubs/wm/wm0010.pdf . Lead shot may be used on private properties that are not leased by the DNR for public hunting and managed by the DNR for Doves, but hunters are encouraged to use non-toxic shot for dove hunting statewide. Lead shot may be consumed by doves that are feeding on similar looking small seeds.

Last Revised: Monday, October 01, 2012

Warden Wire