LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

Wetland detention pond near a car dealership

Wetland detention pond near a car dealership

the Permit Primer.
navigation tips for the Permit Primer.
applicable codes and statutes.
about pollution prevention.
Contact information
DNR storm water staff

Storm water management (construction and industrial)

The goal of the storm water program is to prevent the movement of pollutants to Wisconsin's water resources by ways of runoff. To achieve this goal, there are two types of storm water permits: construction and industrial. Construction permits focus in on land disturbing activities that a business may perform when building or expanding. Industrial permits focus in on the activities that occur as part of the businesses operations (outside storage, utilization of heavy equipment).

The following pages will help you determine if you need a permit prior to site construction and/or whether your facility needs an industrial storm water permit.

First we must determine if you need a construction storm water permit.

Are you a new commercial business?

A commercial business is one that purchases goods wholesale and operates a retail location where they sell directly to the public. Examples include:

  • gas stations;
  • box stores (e.g. K-Mart); and
  • grocery stores.

No Button.

Yes Button.

Last Revised: Tuesday August 20 2013