LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

Crisp, clean air on an autumn afternoon

Crisp, clean air on an autumn afternoon

the Permit Primer.
navigation tips for the Permit Primer.
applicable codes and statutes.
about pollution prevention.
Contact information
DNR Air Management Program staff
Small Business Environmental Assistance Program (SBEAP)

Air management


As a Wisconsin business, it is important to understand the permitting requirements if your business emits air pollution. Existing and new businesses and businesses that are making changes to their operations potentially require air pollution control permits. If you are a new or changing business it is very important to understand the terms commence construction and commence modification because, if an air pollution permit is required, it must be obtained prior to starting any construction or making any changes at your facility (unless a commence construction waiver under s. NR 406.03(2), Wis. Adm. Code is granted).

This section of the Permit Primer will assist you in determining whether your existing, new or changing business needs an air pollution permit. This web site is intended to help small businesses navigate the DNR's permitting requirements. Businesses with complex operations and businesses located in the nonattainment areas in the state should contact the DNR air staff listed on the following website for assistance with the permit process: Air permit options.

Regardless of the size of your business, establishing a working relationship with local DNR air staff is helpful in understanding and complying with air pollution regulations and permitting requirements. If you need to contact DNR for assistance at any time, please follow this link, search for your facility, and look for the contacts listed under DNR Air Contacts. You can also contact the Wisconsin Small Business Environmental Assistance Program (SBEAP). SBEAP is a free, confidential, and non-regulatory resource available to small business owners around the state. (While working through the Air section of the Permit Primer, both of these staff links are always available in the "Contact Information" section of the left sidebar also.)

Does your small business have any of the following activities?

If your business is involved with any of the activities listed here, you may need an air pollution permit. Click one of the two options below to proceed through the Air section of the Permit Primer.

  • Do you use adhesives, paints, inks, other solvents or solvent containing materials that emit volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and/or hazardous air pollutants (HAPs)?
  • Do you heat with any fuels (not including electricity) that have emissions of primarily carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides and some hazardous air pollutants?
  • Do you do any grinding, sanding, welding, material handling or any other activity that creates dust (particulate matter) or fumes?
  • Do you have other operations or activities that could result in emissions to the air of particulate matter, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, lead, VOCs or HAPs?

If your business does not have any activities that emit contaminants to the air, then your business is not considered a source of air pollution and you have completed the permit primer. Thank you for using the permit primer, and we hope the information has been useful to you. Otherwise continue with the interactive section below.

Is your small business new (or expanding) or is it an existing business (with all operations covered by a permit or exemption and not changes planned)?

I am a new or expanding business. | | I am an existing business.

Last Revised: Friday January 24 2020