LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

why your woods matter.
professional help.
about incentives to help manage your woods.
Contact information
Use the Forestry Assistance Locator to find cooperating foresters, DNR service foresters or tax law forestry specialists for your county.
View the current Directory of Foresters [PDF].

Private Forest LandsOpen for Public Recreation

Did you know that the public can access open Managed Forest Law (MFL) and other privately-held forested land for hunting and other recreational purposes? Find out which lands are publicly accessible through the Wisconsin DNR mobile-friendly web mapping application (use your mobile phone or tablet in addition to your laptop or desktop computer to find out where you can recreate on private lands).

All hunting and fishing needs to follow the DNR hunting and fishing seasons and regulations.

Wisconsin forest tax laws

Wisconsin's forest tax laws encourage sustainable forest management on private lands by providing a property tax incentive to landowners. Some of these privately held forest lands also allow for public access for recreation. To legally access these lands for the appropriate recreational opportunities you need to know which program the land is enrolled in.

Managed Forest Law (MFL)

The Managed Forest Law (MFL) program is "open" to public access and allows for hunting, fishing, hiking, sight-seeing and cross-country skiing on lands designated as MFL-Open.

Forest Crop Law (FCL)

The Forest Crop Law (FCL) program only allows for public hunting and fishing.

Frequently asked questions

Do I need permission to access MFL-Open and FCL lands?

No, you don’t need permission from the landowner. However, speaking with the landowner is encouraged, especially if the landowner lives near the site or if access is not readily apparent.

All other land uses other than those specifically mentioned here are prohibited unless the landowner gives specific permission.

What if I am denied access to or asked to leave open MFL/FCL lands?

Anyone denied access to or asked to leave open MFL/FCL lands should report that information to the local DNR forester assigned to the property. Call the DNR Call Center toll free at 1-888-WDNRINFo (1-888-936-7463) for contact information.

More information on public recreation on Open lands

Will the data improve over time?

Yes, the Wisconsin DNR is working on the conversion of an older system to a newer electronic system where more precise locational information can be provided to the public.

Last revised: Wednesday May 25 2016