LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

a series of videos to help understand and complete the Cutting Notice and Report.
Contact information
Use the Forestry Assistance Locator to find Cooperating Foresters or DNR Service Foresters for your county
View the current Directory of Foresters [PDF].

MFL and FCL harvesting step #1: Getting startedFinding assistance

A forester advises a landowner
A forester advises a landowner.

After the landowner is reminded by the Wisconsin DNR of their timber harvesting practice, they should get in touch with their DNR forester. Their DNR forester can:

  • educate and guide the landowner through the harvesting process;
  • provide the landowner with important information about the requirements of the Managed Forest Law (MFL) and Forest Crop Law (FCL) programs;
  • provide the landowner with specific information about their upcoming timber harvesting practice; and
  • inform the landowner about how to find assistance.

Typically, the forester, logger or other agent who is assisting the landowner with the timber harvesting practice will help the landowner with filling out the content of the Cutting Notice and Report. Keep in mind that the DNR forester does not have the authority to set up or complete the timber harvest for the landowner. It is important that the landowner, DNR forester, landowner’s forester and/or logger work together cooperatively to ensure the timber harvest is completed successfully.

Since many landowners have never been involved in a timber harvest before, it is important that landowners find a forestry professional to assist them in ensuring the timber harvest is completed in a successful manner. Below are the recommended options for how to get started.

Contract with a professional forester

Professional foresters may mark or designate trees for cutting, sell these trees to loggers on the landowner’s behalf and/or assist with other non-timber harvest mandatory practices that may need to be completed. You can find a list of these foresters through the DNR forester, the Forestry Assistance Locator and/or the Directory of Foresters [PDF]. In addition to a listing of all of the Wisconsin consulting cooperating foresters, the Directory of Foresters provides valuable information about the difference between DNR, consulting and industrial foresters, what a master logger is and considerations when selecting who to hire to assist with completing a timber harvesting practice.

Contract with a professional logger or contract crew

Professional loggers are available to cut trees and contract crews are available to plant trees or release young trees from competition. Lists of professional loggers and contract crews are available from the DNR forester.

Once the landowner has selected someone to work with, a contract or a letter of service agreement should be prepared. A written agreement will help avoid misunderstandings and make clear what is expected. Each agreement should fit the landowner's needs and be mutually acceptable.

Additional resources

Last revised: Monday July 30 2018