NEWS ARCHIVE: Age: 1,888 days
See This Full Issue
All Previous Archived Issues
Retrieving All Past Issues...
WORK*PLAY*EARTH DAY EVENTS TO BE HELD AROUND THE STATE IN 2018
Contact(s): Janet Hutchens, DNR Volunteer Coordinator, 608-261-8453; Paul Holtan, Office of Communications, 608-235-2126
April 3, 2018
[EDITOR'S ADVISORY: This news release has been updated to reflect that event rescheduling and cancellations due to recent snow storms.]
MADISON - People will again have additional opportunities to celebrate Earth Day while helping out and enjoying a Wisconsin State Park System property during the 10th annual Work*Play*Earth Day events that will be held around the state.
This year there are 32 properties holding events, up from 31 in 2017. Volunteer events are sponsored by the Friends of Wisconsin State Parks and Department of Natural Resources properties. This year events will be held April 14, 20, 21, 28 and May 5 and 12.
Volunteers can join DNR staff, local friends group members, and people from nearby communities to help repair and enhance park, forest and trail properties.
"These volunteer events are a great way to get out in the spring and shake the cobwebs off after the long winter," said Janet Hutchens, volunteer coordinator for the Wisconsin State Park System. "These events are not only a great way to give back to park properties you enjoy using throughout the year, they are great opportunity to socialize with others who share your love of the outdoors and want to help protect our environment."
Hutchens said the events are also important for the properties that hold them in getting ready for the busy summer. Last year 1,437 volunteers participated donating more than 4,000 hours.
Work Play Earth Day events
SLIDE SHOW | 9 photos
In addition to tree planting, other activities taking place around the state include installing benches, removing invasive plants, painting picnic tables and other structures, raking and cleaning up leaves and picking up litter. Lunches or refreshments are often provided by the many park friends groups that help sponsor these events.
Hours vary by event, but most begin either at 9 or 10 a.m. and run through noon or early afternoon. For complete details, search the DNR website, dnr.wi.gov, for "Work Play Earth Day."
"When the work is done, volunteers join staff in hiking or biking park trails, visiting nature centers or interpretive displays, or enjoying any of the recreational opportunities available at the different properties," Hutchens said.
2018 Work*Play*Earth Day Events
Friday - April 20
Saturday - April 21
- Rescheduled to May 5 Big Foot Beach State Park - Lake Geneva, 262-248-2528, Details
- Hank Aaron State Traill - Milwaukee, 414-263-8559, Details
- Rescheduled to May 11 Heritage Hill State Historical Park - Green Bay, 920-448-5150, Details
- Cancelled High Cliff State Park - Sherwood, 920-989-1106, Details
- Interstate State Park - St. Croix Falls, 715-483-3747, Details
- Rescheduled to May 5 Kettle Moraine State Forest-Northern Unit- Campbellsport, 262-626-2116, Details
- Rescheduled to April 28 Kettle Moraine State Forest - Pike Lake Unit - Hartford, 262-670-3400, Details
- Rescheduled to May 5 Kettle Moraine State Forest- Southern Unit- Eagle, 262-594-6200, Details
- Kohler-Andrae State Park - Sheboygan, 920-451-4080, Details
- Cancelled MacKenzie Center - Poynette, 608-635-8105, Details
- Rescheduled to May 12 Newport State Park - Ellison Bay, 920-854-2500, Details
- Cancelled Peninsula State Park - Fish Creek, 920-868-3258, Details
- Cancelled Point Beach State Forest, Two Rivers, 920-794-7480, Details
- Cancelled Potawatomi State Park - Sturgeon Bay, 920-746-2890, Details
- Red Cedar State Trail - Menomonie, 715-232-1242, Details
Saturday - April 28
- Buckhorn State Park - Necedah, 608-565-2789, Details
- Copper Falls State Park - Mellen, 715-274-5123, Details
- Devil's Lake State Park - Baraboo, 608-356-8301, Details
- Harrington Beach State Park - Belgium, 262-285-3015, Details
- Kettle Moraine State Forest-Northern Unit- Campbellsport, 262-626-2116, Details
- Merrick State Park> - Fountain City, 608-687-4936, Details
- Perrot State Park - Trempealeau, 608-534-6409, Details
- Stower Seven Lakes State Trail - Amery, 715-485-9294, Details
- CancelledWhitefish Dunes State Park -Sturgeon Bay, 920-823-2400, Details
Saturday - May 5
- Amnicon Falls State Park - South Range, 715-398-3000, Details
- Hartman Creek State Park - Waupaca, 715-258-2372, Details
- Havenwoods State Forest - Milwaukee, 414-527-0232, Details
- Rib Mountain State Park - Wausau, 715-842-2522, Details
- Roche-A-Cri State Park - Friendship, 608-339-6881, Details
- Rock Island State Park, - Washington Island, 920-847-2235, Details
Saturday - May 12
Last Revised: Tuesday, April 03, 2018