DNR & Dane County Sheriff's Office Renew Weekend Public Hours At Shooting Range, $10 User Fee
Dane County Law Enforcement Training Center Shooting Range allowing public access on weekends starting June 13Photo credit: DNR
Contact(s): Brenda Von Rueden, DNR Target Range Manager 608-228-4549
Dane County Sgt. Tim Elve 608-849-2661
June 10, 2020 at 12:35:08 pm
MADISON, Wis. - Thanks to the continuing project agreement between the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and the Dane County Sheriff's Office, the public again will have weekend access to the Dane County Law Enforcement Training Center Range.
The public will have access to the range, located on Highway 19 in the Town of Westport, between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays starting June 13 through November 15.
The range also will be open to the public daily for two weeks before the gun-deer season, from November 9 - 20, to allow hunters additional opportunity to sight in their rifles. There is a $10 fee per user per day.
Officials say the continuation of this partnership opportunity provides area hunters and shooters a safe and convenient facility to prepare for the hunting seasons or to enjoy target shooting.
Funding for this project comes from shooters and hunters through the Pittman-Robertson (PR) Wildlife Restoration grant program. The grant revenues are taxes paid by shooters and hunters on ammunition and equipment.
The Dane County Law Enforcement Training Center has five firearm shooting ranges. Each of the five ranges provides a different type of shooting environment. Its primary function is to provide law enforcement officers with realistic and functional training.
Public access hours, dates and fees
- Saturdays and Sundays, June 13 - November 15: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Daily, November 9-20: 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- During this period, one 100-yard rifle range and one 25-yard pistol range will be open to the public for shooting and target practice. Shooters will not be limited in the time they spend on the range unless there are no open firing positions and others are waiting.
- Target stands are available at the range. Shooters should bring ear and eye protection, paper targets and their own ammunition.
- Fees: $10 per person per day. Fees must be paid with cash or personal check. Credit cards are not accepted.
- Minors: A parent or legal guardian must accompany minors. A minor must be at least 12 years old and present proof of enrollment or completion of the DNR Hunter Safety Program to shoot at the range.
The Dane County Law Enforcement Training Center is located at 5184 Hwy 19 in the Town of Westport, one mile east of the intersection of Hwy 113 and County Trunk I.
COVID19 & social distancing
The following steps will be taken by those participating in the weekend open range shoot:
- All individuals entering the Dane County Law Enforcement Training Center must wear a mask or else entry will be denied. No exceptions.
- Individuals may opt to wear a mask while outdoors or on the range.
- When entering the facility, individuals will be required to stay at least six (6) feet away from the next person in line unless they are a family member. Measurements will be masked on the floor.
- Shooting lanes on the range will be restricted to the use of every other lane providing a ten (10) foot distance between each shooter.
- Disinfectant/hand sanitizer will be available upon entry to the building and on the range.
- Extra cleaning/disinfecting for multiple-use items.
- Length of time to spend at the range will be at the discretion of staff based on the number of individuals waiting their turn. Find a range near you here.
Last Revised: Wednesday, June 10, 2020