Buying a license is quick, convenient, and discounted options make it easy to invite a friend
Contact(s): Karl Scheidegger, fisheries outreach, 608-267-9426
MADISON -- Buying a license is easy and convenient. All licenses are available for purchase through Go Wild, DNR Service Centers or at one of our sales locations unless otherwise noted.
Wisconsin residents and nonresidents 16 years old or older need a fishing license to fish in any waters of the state. Residents born before Jan. 1, 1927, do not need a license and resident members of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty are entitled to obtain a free fishing license when on furlough or leave.
First time buyer's license
Anglers who have never purchased a fishing license -- or who haven't purchased one in 10 years -- can get a discounted "first time buyers" license. [/permits/firsttimebuyers.html] The discounts are automatically applied when the license is purchased. Residents' discounted license is $5 and non-residents' is $25.75 for the annual licenses.
With the late ice out in many waters, walleye should be ready to bite. Fisheries technician Tanya Meives displays a nice walleye captured during a comprehensive survey on Random Lake in Sheboygan County the week of April 16. Photo credit: DNR
Anglers who recruit new people into the sport can get rewarded for their efforts. Wisconsin residents who have been designated as a recruiter three or more times within one license year are eligible for a discount on the license of their choice the next year.
One-day fishing license
Anglers can buy a one-day fishing license that allows them to take someone out to try fishing, and if they like, the purchase price of that one-day license will be credited toward purchase of an annual license. The one day license is $8 for residents and $10 for nonresidents.
The one-day license is good until midnight on the day it is purchased.
Five online tools to make fishing easier this season
Anglers on the go can find the information they need literally at their fingertips. Try these tools to help find places to fish, know the rules, identify fish species, and more.
- Find a Lake information - Search by lake name, location, fish species, boat landings, beaches and more.
- Inland waters regulation tool - Our searchable Guide to Wisconsin hook and line fishing regulations (exit DNR) lets you search by inland lakes, by lake name or county and includes an interactive map.
- Trout tool - The Trout Regulations & Opportunities User Tool (TROUT) provides anglers with on-the-go mobile access to trout streams and regulations; roads, aerial images, and fishing easements; the ability to find your location, measure distances, and print/save a customized map for a fishing trip.
- Fish consumption advice query tool - Search by county and then click on the water you want to fish to get advice on the number and kinds of fish you can safely eat from that water to reduce exposure to environmental contaminants that may be in the fish.
- Fish ID -Carry 174 Wisconsin fish in your pocket! Download the mobile app and you can identify Wisconsin fish wherever you go, no internet connection required.
Last Revised: Tuesday, April 24, 2018