NEWS ARCHIVE:     Age: 2,367 days

See This Full Issue

All Previous Archived Issues


Contact(s): Jenna Kosnicki, DNR assistant furbearer biologist, 608-261-6452
June 7, 2016

MADISON - Anyone interested in trapping or in need of trapper education certification is encouraged to check out the online schedule and enrollment forms for trapper education courses.

Students learn more about Wisconsin's furbearers in one of the department's Trapper Education courses
Students learn more about Wisconsin's furbearers in one of the department's Trapper Education courses
Photo Credit: DNR

Students will learn more about furbearer identification and behavior, habitat requirements, trapping history, trapping techniques and placement, fur handling, trapping ethics, and trapping rules and regulations.

Those who did not purchase a trapping license in Wisconsin prior to 1992 are required to pass a trapper education course in order to trap in Wisconsin. Registration is $12 per student for both residents and non-residents. After completion of the course, residents will receive a 2016/2017 trapping license free of charge. Student with disabilities should specify any accommodations needed at the time of registration.

Few classes are offered during trapping season, and Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources staff encourage those who plan to trap this upcoming season to take a class sooner rather than later. Classes are limited to a number of students and tend to fill quickly.

To search for trapper education courses offered by the department, visit Go Wild's course enrollment page and select "trapper" from the list. It is important to remember that not all counties provide trapper education courses - to search statewide, do not select a county from the initial list.

For more information regarding trapping in Wisconsin, visit and search keywords "trap" or "trapper ed."

Last Revised: Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Need an expert?

The Office of Communications connects journalists with DNR experts on a wide range of topics. For the fastest response, please email and the first available Communications Specialist will respond to you.