NEWS ARCHIVE: Age: 3,079 days
See This Full Issue
All Previous Archived Issues
FREE DNR FISHING APP AVAILABLE
April 30, 2014
MADISON - Anglers can now find fish species information, boat access sites, shore fishing areas, lake information and regulations in the palm of their hand: the Department of Natural Resources has updated its Wisconsin Fish & Wildlife mobile app to include a full array of fishing information.
Done in partnership with Parks by Nature, this free app for Apple and Android devices provides essential information for prospective, novice and experienced anglers, alike, says Karl Scheidegger, Department of Natural Resources fisheries outreach leader.
"Users should find something for everyone in the initial launch of the fishing side of the DNR app, and we'll expand the information and update it throughout the year to provide anglers with a more comprehensive look at Wisconsin fishing," Scheidegger says.
The app includes information on:
- FISH SPECIES - An angler's guide to Wisconsin's commonly caught fishes. Individual species profiles include information on fish name, identification, habitat, food, reproduction, angling notes, average size and state record.
- WHERE TO FISH - Information on lakes with shore fishing areas and boat access information by region, county within region and alphabetical site by county. Specific site information with GPS map location.
- FISHING NEAR ME - GPS enabled - Identifies current location with nearby fishing opportunities like fisheries areas, boat access sites, shore fishing areas and hatcheries. Coming soon: wild walleye waters and more.
- RECORD FISH/ANGLERS' CLUB - Record fish information and current records. Membership information for the Hooked on Wisconsin Anglers' Club
- FISHING SEASONS - Annual fishing season dates information.
- CONNECT WITH FISHERIES - Access to the social media that enables anglers to connect with DNR and the fishing community through Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr and Pinterest.
- FISHING REPORT - An E-publication of the latest fishing report with individual species forecasts broken down alphabetically by county
- LICENSES and PERMITS - A link to DNR licensing page and information on resident and nonresident fishing license structure and cost.
- RULES and REGULATIONS - Direct link to web-optimized fisheries regulation database for lakes.
- ANGLER EDUCATION - Angler and aquatic education materials including fishing clinics, tackle loaner sites and more.
- ANGLERS' DIARY/PHOTO ALBUM - Parks By Nature Trophy Case App - Anglers' log to include fishing summaries (conditions, bait/lure, photos). Ability to share and post to social media.
- EATING YOUR CATCH - Safe eating guidelines.
- FISHERIES MANAGEMENT - Hatcheries and rearing stations listed alphabetically with visitation information and GPS map. Stocking information with stocking database so anglers know what fish went where and when.
- FISHERIES STAFF - Fisheries biologist information includes biologist's address, phone number, email and county management responsibilities.
- DIRECT DIAL TIPLINE - One touch connection with the DNR's enforcement TIP line.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Karl Scheidegger, 608-267-9426; Chris Welch, 608-266-9671
Last Revised: Wednesday, April 30, 2014