NEWS ARCHIVE:     Age: 3,710 days

See This Full Issue

All Previous Archived Issues


July 31, 2012

MADISON - Department of Natural Resources Secretary Cathy Stepp has a special message for active military members and U.S. veterans: We want to help you work and play in Wisconsin's outdoors.

"On behalf of our DNR staff, we want to thank our military service members who have fought for our freedoms and way of life. To show our appreciation we are offering a way for vets to get started in an outdoors career and to enjoy some of Wisconsin's most precious pass time traditions," Stepp says.

As of the beginning of July 2012, veterans may qualify for a one-time fee waiver for an occupational or professional license. To find out if a veteran qualifies for the fee waiver program or to find a complete list of eligible Wisconsin licenses they should visit the Department of Veterans Affairs [exit DNR]. Veteran's eligibility related questions should be directed to the Veteran's Information Resource Center via Web chat [exit DNR], email or phone 800-947-8387.

To find which DNR licenses fees are waived for qualifying veterans, search the DNR website for "veteran."

Disabled veteran and former prisoner of war fee waivers

Wisconsin law also extends many privileges for hunting, fishing and trapping - including a free small game hunting license -- to active members of the U.S. Armed Forces, Wisconsin National Guard or Reserves who are Wisconsin residents. Different sections of Wisconsin statutes authorize these privileges, each with their own qualifications. To find out more, search for "Armed Forces hunting privileges," on the DNR website.

Free passes to Wisconsin state parks and forests

Certain Wisconsin resident disabled veterans and former prisoners of war are eligible to receive waivers of vehicle admission and trail pass fees. To apply for this fee waiver, follow the instructions below.

Discounted fishing license

A discounted Resident Disabled Veterans Fishing License is available to veterans who are receiving veteran's disability compensation for a disability of 70 percent or more for a service related disability; or are receiving service related disability benefits as individually unemployable. Acceptable evidence to receive this license includes:

Disabled veteran recreation card

Issued to any veteran that has a 50 percent disability from the military and has their VA benefits letter. This permit entitles the veteran to a fishing license, state trail pass, small game license and park admission sticker for $7. Search license sales location to find an agent near you.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Bill Cosh, DNR spokesperson, 608-267-2773 or Penny Kanable, DNR Customer Service, 608-264-8985

Last Revised: Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Need an expert?

The Office of Communications connects journalists with DNR experts on a wide range of topics. For the fastest response, please email and the first available Communications Specialist will respond to you.