NEWS ARCHIVE:     Age: 4,390 days

See This Full Issue

All Previous Archived Issues


September 28, 2010

MADISON - Wisconsin's antlerless deer-only gun hunt takes place Oct. 14-17 in herd control and chronic wasting disease deer management units.

The hunt will take place in the following herd control deer management units (DMU) 1M, 8, 11, 12, 15, 16, 21, 47, 51A, 51B, 54B, 54C, 57, 59C, 59D, 59M, 60M, 61, 62B, 63A, 63B, 64, 64M, 65B, 66, 67A, 67B, 68A, 68B, 72, 73B, 73D, 74B, 77C, 77M, 80A, 80B, and 81.

And in the following CWD management units 54B, 70, 70A, 70B, 70C, 70D, 70E, 70F, 70G, 71, 73B, 73E, 75A, 75B, 75C, 75D, 76, 76A, 76M, 77A, 77B, and 77C.

Only state parks within the CWD Management Zone that allow deer hunting will be open to the Oct. 14 - 17 antlerless only hunt. State parks in herd control deer management units are not open to deer hunting during the Oct. 14 - 17 antlerless only hunt.

For complete rules and regulations involving this hunt consult the 2010 Wisconsin Deer Hunting Regulations which is available in hard copy from license sales agents or on the hunting and trapping regulations pages of the DNR website.

An opportunity to prequalify for a buck authorization in CWD units

CWD management units have an earn-a-buck season structure in 2010, meaning hunters must first harvest and register an antlerless deer before shooting a buck. Hunters in CWD management units may earn a buck authorization sticker by registering antlerless deer, which can be used during a later season when it is legal to harvest bucks.

Only antlerless deer harvested and tagged in a CWD management unit will earn the hunter who tagged the deer a buck authorization sticker. Hunters must register their deer at a designated deer registration station located within the CWD Management Zone in a unit no farther than one unit away from where the deer was harvested, and they should request a buck authorization sticker for each antlerless deer they register. Buck authorization stickers will not be mailed to hunters.

If a sticker is earned during the 2010 deer hunting season, and it goes unused, hunters should hold on to their stickers for the 2011 hunting season. Buck stickers earned in a year previous to the 2009 hunting season are no longer valid. Valid buck authorization stickers are not transferrable to other hunters, but hunters may use their buck sticker and carcass tag to tag a buck for another hunter during the November or Holiday gun deer seasons under group hunting situations.

During other seasons when it is legal to hunt bucks, hunters may also tag an antlerless deer and then harvest a buck, which may accompany the antlerless deer upon registration, as long as they are tagged by the same hunter registering both deer.

Replacement buck authorization stickers

A hunter may receive up to one replacement buck sticker per year if they lost or never received a buck authorization. The hunter must have tagged and registered an antlerless deer in CWD management unit from the 2009 or 2010 hunting season. Stickers are replaced at designated DNR Service Centers on days and hours when service desks are open. The hunter's deer registration record will be checked in a database first to see if they are eligible to receive a buck authorization sticker. Then, hunters will be asked to fill out and sign a sworn affidavit before they receive their replacement sticker. False claims of deer registration may result in fines and/or legal penalties.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Jason Fleener (608) 261-7589 or Keith Warnke - (608) 264-6023

Last Revised: Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Need an expert?

The Office of Communications connects journalists with DNR experts on a wide range of topics. For the fastest response, please email and the first available Communications Specialist will respond to you.