Send Letter to Editor

Wisconsin Natural Resources magazine

Wisconsin Natural Resources magazine

yellow.jpg - 25980 Bytes

February 2004

For our patrons

News for Conservation Patron license holders

Natasha Kassulke

A new look for DNR licenses
DNR online services
Turkey permits
New licenses available on ALIS
Online boat, snowmobile and ATV registration
Why buy a CP license? It's a great deal!
Buying a CP license
DNR service centers by city
Donate venison to help food pantries

A new look for DNR licenses

Wisconsin recreational hunting and fishing licenses will soon get a facelift and both the license and the equipment that issues it will have a new look. In March 2004, DNR will introduce the next generation of its licensing system, with benefits to hunters, anglers and license agents. This system upgrades the Automated Licensing Issuance System (ALIS).

When you purchase your 2004 licenses, you will notice the equipment used to issue licenses is new. The new system will process your license faster and provide better print quality on license documents. Each terminal will have keyboard to allow the sales person to enter customer information into the DNR database, correct a customer's address information on the terminal, and print the new address on the customer's license.

Licenses will continue to be issued on fluorescent yellow (chartreuse) paper year after year. Backtags and license documents have been redesigned to prominently display the license year and emphasize the DNR customer's "DNR Number." Each customer is assigned a unique 9-digit number the first time they purchase a license. When a customer presents a DNR customer number (along with another form of identification) to a license sales agent, the system will not request the customer's social security number.

All licenses will print on durable waterproof and tear resistant paper, including turkey permits, short-term licenses and other licenses that previously were printed on receipt paper.

Nearly 1,500 sporting goods, hardware stores, and other retail locations use the automated system to issue recreational licenses. Over 3.4 million licenses and approvals are sold through ALIS, bringing in over $59 million in revenue to Wisconsin's fish and wildlife account each year.

DNR online services

Did you know that you can purchase your Wisconsin recreational licenses from the convenience of your home starting March 10? With a computer, a printer, and a click of a mouse – you can purchase and in some instances print your licenses yourself. DNR also invites you to complete and submit your permit applications online for bear, turkey, deer, goose, sharp-tailed grouse, bobcat, otter and fisher. You can check your application status as well as review your preference points.

How to apply for permits

New procedures have been developed to apply for permits in the following programs: Hunter's Choice/bonus, turkey (fall and spring), sharp-tailed grouse, bear, goose, bobcat, fisher and otter.

The $3 application fee may be paid at any license sales location, online or by phone. You must then complete and submit your application choices using one of the following options:

  1. Complete/submit your application online at Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. You will receive confirmation that DNR received your application; or...

  2. Complete the paper application and submit by mail (you no longer need to affix a sticker to the application form - see instructions on application.)

Permit winners and preference points

After DNR completes each permit drawing (Hunter's Choice, turkey, bear, goose, sharp-tailed grouse, bobcat, otter and fisher), you will be able to visit the DNR website to determine whether you were awarded a permit. In addition, you will be able to preview your ongoing preference status for each drawing. Another service that will be offered via the Internet is the ability to update your address in your license customer account. Visit DNR's website for more information.

Turkey permits

This year, DNR will begin issuing turkey permits through the new system instead of delivering them by mail. Customers will be notified by postcard that they have been awarded a turkey permit, and when they purchase their turkey license, their permit(s) will print at the terminal. If you are a Conservation Patron and you were successful in the drawing, you will automatically receive your spring turkey permit(s) when you purchase your Patron license. Since the Patron only purchases a license once during the year, DNR will continue to mail fall turkey permits to Conservation Patron license holders.

Turkey permits are now delivered through the new system. © Herbert Lange
Turkey permits are now delivered
through the new system.

© Herbert Lange

New licenses available on ALIS

Recent legislation created two new licenses for customers who are 12 through 17 years of age.

– A Junior Conservation Patron license is available to both residents and nonresidents for $75. This license conveys the same privileges as a regular resident or nonresident Conservation Patron license.

The Junior Conservation Patron license is new for hunters ages 12 through 17 and costs $75. © Robert Queen
The Junior Conservation Patron license is new for hunters ages 12 through 17 and costs $75.

© Robert Queen

– The Junior Sports license, which sells for $35 is also available to both residents and nonresidents. This license includes fishing, small game hunting and gun deer hunting.

Customers who qualify for the free armed forces fishing and small game licenses will be able to pick up their license at any ALIS agent location rather than only at a DNR office or county clerk's office.


Many of you have taken advantage of reserving a backtag number for an annual fee of $5. This number is still reserved in your name.

For those of you who have not already reserved a number, you can do so by calling the Patron/Sports License Coordinator at (608) 266-7030.

Many four digit backtag numbers are still available. You can request a specific number, however, they are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis; and your first choice may not be open. Once a number is reserved, the $5 fee will be added onto your purchase each year.

Online boat, snowmobile and ATV registration

Owners of snowmobiles, boats and all-terrain vehicles now have the option of renewing their registration online.

Piloted in September 2003, online recreational vehicle registration for Wisconsin is now available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Customers have been asking for this service, says Rita Harnack, chief of the DNR Registrations and Permits Section.

Online registration renewal is available for snowmobilers. One benefit is that this registration is available 24 hours a day and includes options for also renewing boat and all-terrain vehicle registrations. The online service is currently only available for renewals. © RJ & Linda Miller
Online registration renewal is available for snowmobilers. One benefit is that this registration is available 24 hours a day and includes options for also renewing boat and all-terrain vehicle registrations. The online service is currently only available for renewals.
© RJ & Linda Miller

The site is currently available only for renewals, but the goal is to make this web option the foundation for all recreational vehicle transactions including new registrations.

Visit Wisconsin's Online Licensing Center.

MasterCard and Visa credit cards may be used to pay renewal fees for an additional $1 fee. Expired recreational vehicle registrations can be renewed no matter when they expire. Decals and registration certificates are processed and mailed within seven days.

Customers may print a validated receipt after completing their online registration renewal. Keep that receipt in hand and you can legally operate your recreational vehicle while waiting for registration documents to arrive in the mail.

You can also choose to renew these vehicle registrations at DNR service centers. The Department of Natural Resources processes about 500,000 recreational vehicle renewal transactions each year.

Snowmobile and ATV registrations are valid for two years, while boat registrations are valid for three years.

Why buy a CP license? It's a great deal!

The Conservation Patron (CP) license lets the avid sportsperson save money and time. The CP license offers 22 privileges including outdoor licenses, stamps applications, park and trail admissions and more for one low fee. The resident CP license costs $140 and the nonresident patron license costs $600, representing the first fee increases in seven years. Yet, this license continues to be a bargain. New this year – a Junior Conservation Patron license will be available for $75 to resident/non-resident 12- to 17-year-olds.

Privileges included in the CP license

-Annual Fishing License
-Small Game Hunting License
-Deer Hunting License
-Resident Archery License
-Annual subscription to Wisconsin Natural Resources magazine
-Spring Turkey Hunting License
-Fall Turkey Hunting License
-State Turkey Stamp
-State Waterfowl Stamp
-State Pheasant Stamp
-Great Lakes Trout & Salmon Stamp
-Inland Waters Trout Stamp
-Trapping License (for residents)
-Spring Turkey Application* (see new procedures below)
-Fall Turkey Application
-Hunter's Choice Application
-Goose Application
-Early Season Goose Permit
-Annual State Park Sticker
-Annual Bike Trail Pass
-Admission to Heritage Hill State Park
-Otter & Fisher trapping (application fee for this activity, but not automatic receipt of an application form)

*The spring turkey permit program will have new procedures in 2004. CP license holders who have been selected to receive a permit, will be notified that they were successful in the drawing. The permit will be issued and printed with your purchase of your new 2004 CP license.

What's not included in the CP license?

-Bear Hunting Application
-Class A Bear License (harvest license)
-Class B Bear License (pursuit license)
-Bobcat Application
-Bonus Deer Permits
-Federal Migratory Hunting Stamp
-Sturgeon Spearing License
-Sharp-tailed Grouse Hunting Application

CPs must apply for and pay a separate fee to participate in these activities:

Activity Application Deadline Fee
Bear hunting
(Fall 2005)
Jan. 14, 2005 $3
Sharp-tailed Grouse 2004 Aug. 10, 2004 $3
Bobcat Hunt 2004 Sept. 10, 2004 $3
Sturgeon Spearing 2005 Oct. 31, 2004 $20 residents, $50 nonresidents

Buying a CP license

CP licenses expire each year on March 31st. The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources offers four quick ways to conveniently buy a Conservation Patron license starting March 10, 2004. You will not receive a separate mailing to renew your CP license.

Buy online – Just visit Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and follow the steps to purchase your patron license. Online orders need to be billed to MasterCard or Visa credit cards for a $3 handling fee. Make sure your computer is hooked up to a printer before purchasing your license so that you will be able to print your receipt.

Call us – Purchasing a license by phone is a snap. Call toll-free 1-877-WI LICENSE (1-877-945-4236). Phone orders can be billed to either Visa or MasterCard for a $3 handling fee. At the end of your transaction, you'll receive an authorization number that provides immediate license privileges during open seasons except those that require a carcass tag.

Visit us – Licenses can be purchased at over 1,500 sporting goods stores, merchants and resorts as well as at DNR offices. don't know where the nearest license agent or DNR service center is located? A list of service centers is included in this insert. Visit Customer Service and Licensing and click on the "ALIS Sales Locations" for a list of sales agents in a specific county or city.

Buy by mail – For Conservation Patrons who still prefer to renew their CP license through the mail, fill out the form in this insert and mail it to: DNR – Attn: Conservation Patron Renewal, P.O. Box 7924, Madison, WI 53707-7924. Be sure to include the $3 handling fee in your check made payable to DNR, or pay by MasterCard or Visa credit card. Allow 4-6 weeks to process mailed applications for CP license renewals.

DNR service centers by city

DNR recreational licenses can be renewed online, on the phone, in person or through the mail. You can renew or purchase licenses in person at any of over 1,500 license sales locations.

You can also purchase or renew licenses at DNR service centers. Office hours are subject to change, so please call ahead to ensure the office is open before beginning your travel.

DNR Service Centers

Donate venison to help food pantries

When purchasing many types of hunting licenses, you will see a request to donate venison. Wisconsin encourages hunters to donate deer that will be processed and provided to food pantries. An additional monetary donation helps pay for processing and packaging fees.

The voluntary donation program gives hunters a chance to donate a dollar or more to the Wisconsin deer donation program. In 2002, about 4,970 hunters donated $18,075 to help pay for venison processing for food pantries.

Venison may be group and donated to needy families in Wisconsin. There is no processing charge to hunters who donate a deer (except in Wood County). © Herbert Lange
Venison may be group and donated to needy families in Wisconsin. There is no processing charge to hunters who donate a deer (except in Wood County).

© Herbert Lange

That year, hunters also donated 5,646 deer, which were processed by 86 participating processors. The combined effort resulted in over 250,000 pounds of donated ground venison. In the past three years, hunters have donated over 17,000 deer which provided over 750,000 pounds of ground venison to needy families in Wisconsin.

There is no processing cost to the hunter who donates a deer (except in Wood County). All the hunter has to do is bring in a legally harvested and field-dressed deer to a participating meat processor. The hunter will need to sign a log sheet to confirm the carcass donation. It is recommended that the hunter call the processor before dropping off the deer to ensure the processor has space to accept the deer. An average deer yields about 50 pounds of meat. The processed venison is frozen as ground meat in one-pound plastic packages.

All venison donated to the program, however, must come from outside the zones where chronic wasting disease has been detected. Only deer registered with silver tags from outside known CWD zones will be accepted by processors who are part of the donation program.

The Wisconsin wildlife damage abatement and claims program organizes and manages funding for the statewide deer donation program. Volunteers including sports groups, churches, civic organizations and food pantry staff also distribute the meat from the processor to the food pantries. USDA Wildlife Services staff, Department of Natural Resources staff and county wildlife damage staff help administer the program. Hunt For The Hungry also is a strong partner in the Wisconsin deer donation program.

Contact Laurie Fike at (608) 267-7974, or Bryan Woodbury at (608) 266-2151 with any questions on this program.

Natasha Kassulke is Associate Editor of Wisconsin Natural Resources magazine.