Fish and Aquatic Life
Source: 1983, Surface Water Resources of Price County Newman Lake T40N, R3E, Sec. 7.
This soft water, seepage lake is landlocked and has clear water. Its fish population includes perch, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, bluegills, rock bass, pumpkinseeds, black bullheads, white suckers and minnows. The lake is irregularly shaped and has three islands. Upland hardwood and pine make up 65% of the shoreline with several tamarack bogs the remainder. Sand and gravel comprise 70% of the littoral bottom with the remaining 30% detritus. Emergent, submergent and floating vegetation are scattered near the shoreline. Mallards and loons nest around the lake, out furbearer use is unimportant here. Private development consists of one resort, one boat rental and eight cottages or homes. The Chequamegon National Forest owns and maintains a picnic area and swimming beach along the south and east sides of the lake. This area also includes a public access. This the only public frontage on the lake and amounts to 0.69 mile of shoreline.
Surface area 91.0 acres, maximum depth = 47 ft, MPA = 35 ppm, Secchi disk = 16 ft.
Author Surface Water Inventory Of Wisconsin
Wisconsin has over 84,000 miles of streams, 15,000 lakes and milllions of acres of wetlands. Assessing the condition of this vast amount of water is challenging. The state's water monitoring program uses a media-based, cross-program approach to analyze water condition. An updated monitoring strategy (2015-2020) is now available.
Compliance with Clean Water Act fishable, swimmable standards are located in the Executive Summary of Water Condition in 2016 . See also 'monitoring' and 'projects'.
Wisconsin's Water Quality Standards provide qualitative and quantitative goals for waters that are protective of Fishable, Swimmable conditions [Learn more]. Waters that do not meet water quality standards are considered impaired and restoration actions are planned and carried out until the water is once again fishable and swimmable
Management goals can include creation and implementation of a Total Maximum Daily Load Analysis, habitat restoration work, partnership education and outreach and more. If specific recommendations exist for this water, they will be displayed below.
Monitoring the condition of a river, stream, or lake includes gathering physical, chemical, biological, and habitat data. Comprehensive studies often gather all these parameters in great detail, while lighter assessment events will involve sampling physical, chemical and biological data such as macroinvertebrates. Aquatic macroinvertebrates and fish communities integrate watershed or catchment condition, providing great insight into overall ecosystem health. Chemical and habitat parameters tell researchers more about human induced problems including contaminated runoff, point source dischargers, or habitat issues that foster or limit the potential of aquatic communities to thrive in a given area. Wisconsin's Water Monitoring Strategy was recenty updated.
Grants and Management Projects
|WBIC||Official Waterbody Name||Station ID||Station Name||Earliest Fieldwork Date||Latest Fieldwork Date||View Station||View Data|
|1870200||Newman Lake||10005146||Newman Lake||8/29/2000||8/28/2015||Map||Data|
|1870200||Newman Lake||10012416||Newman Lake - Beach||5/4/2004||8/30/2010||Map||Data|
|1870200||Newman Lake||10019603||Newman Lake -- Access||8/26/2013||8/26/2013||Map||Data|
Newman Lake is located in the Upper South Fork Flambeau River watershed which is 278.98 mi². Land use in the watershed is primarily wetland (45%), forest (41%) and a mix of open (6%) and other uses (9%). This watershed has 254.56 stream miles, 8,509.29 lake acres and 63,099.27 wetland acres.
Nonpoint Source Characteristics
This watershed is ranked Not Ranked for runoff impacts on streams, Low for runoff impacts on lakes and Low for runoff impacts on groundwater and therefore has an overall rank of Low. This value can be used in ranking the watershed or individual waterbodies for grant funding under state and county programs.However, all waters are affected by diffuse pollutant sources regardless of initial water quality. Applications for specific runoff projects under state or county grant programs may be pursued. For more information, go to surface water program grants.