- Contact information
- For information on wildlife surveys, contact:
- Brian Dhuey
Survey analyst/database manager
Bureau of Science Services
Wisconsin online wildlife surveys
Find out how you can participate.
Each year the wildlife surveys program collects much needed information from hunters, trappers and outdoor enthusiasts on Wisconsin's wildlife. The information requested is used to help estimate wildlife species abundance, distribution, annual harvest and population trends; and to measure hunter, trapper and outdoor enthusiasts' participation, effort, permit success rates, satisfaction and reactions to proposed season changes.
Public surveys give Wisconsinites a chance to tell the Wisconsin DNR what they are seeing while they are outdoors enjoying and observing our state's diverse wildlife species. These extra eyes in the field have proven to be valuable in documenting the reproductive status, abundance and distribution of some of our state's wildlife.
Mail-Selected surveys poll approximately 60,000 randomly selected hunters, trappers, rural landowners and outdoor enthusiasts to collect hunt and harvest information, opinions on season structure and length and ratings of satisfaction and program performance. Not all hunters, trappers and outdoor enthusiasts are eligible to take the surveys. Only those hunters/trappers who have been randomly selected and notified by the Department of Natural Resources are eligible to participate.
- Operation Deer Watch - The Wisconsin DNR is asking for your help in monitoring the reproductive status of deer in the state by reporting deer sightings during the months of August and September. Start monitoring today!
- Deer hunter wildlife survey - The Wisconsin DNR is asking for your help in monitoring the relative abundance and distribution of deer and other mammalian/avian wildlife species in the state. The wildlife we are most interested in are deer, raccoon, skunk, porcupine, red and gray fox, turkey, ruffed grouse, coyote, bear, otter, fisher, bobcat, house cat, badger, wolf, opossum, elk or other wildlife not normally seen in your area. Learn how to participate.
Surveys available online
Before opening an online survey, please view the instructions and survey details.
- Spring turkey hunting questionnaire
- Fall turkey hunting questionnaire
- Firearm deer hunting questionnaire
- Archery deer hunting questionnaire